Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Looking Back at 2019

I have to say that I am not too sad to see 2019 go. It was a great year, filled with blessings and miracles, while also full of challenges and a few trials that I honestly hope to never experience again. Throughout all these things, I truly have seen the hand of the Lord and know He has blessed my family beyond anything I ever thought possible. When reviewing 2019, here are a few of the major highlights.

I started to coach leaders at work which has been a lot of fun. I get to help these senior leaders progress and become even better at being leaders. When I was in college, I always thought coaching sounded fun and I loved leadership, and that's why I chose to pursue the degree I did. I hoped that someday, if I was able to work long enough, I would be able to work in a role where leadership, coaching, and teams came together...and it's been a dream come true.

M and I lived in Denver with Matthew's parents from January - April. It was a blast! We spent almost every weekend (at least every other weekend), in Longmont with the Merrills. We loved spending time there, and can't wait until we actually live close to them again. M got to learn some new skills while helping Jason finish their basement, and I got to snuggle cute babies (twinsies, and Kylee and Tia) while spending time with Katey. Living near a sister is one of the best things in the world, and a great blessing. We also took a trip to Pima for a quick weekend in February when Sisterbug got married. It was so fun to be in AZ with the whole family and enjoy the celebrations! M's parents were fantastic hosts. I cooked a few nights a week, and Grandma Blaylock cooked the rest of them. It was an amazing break, and we got a much wider variety of foods than we usually do when I am the only cook around. We spent conference weekend with the Merrill's at the cabin where we played in the deep snow and built the biggest snowman I've ever seen...M and I could barely lift the body and the head.
Here's a pic of us at the cabin with Kylee and Tia, building the biggest snowman ever...check out the hair.

Klaire and Curtis's Wedding 

Couple Pic

On our way home from Denver, moving back to Utah
Right after M finished his internship, we headed off to the Bahamas for a cruise. We left for the cruise the evening of Easter Sunday, and earlier that day we found out I was pregnant! On the cruise we played games, got sea sick, swam in the Bahamas, snorkled, went parasailing, and enjoyed the last day of our trip on land at Volcano Bay in Orlando, FL. Because of seasickness, it will take a lot of convincing to go on another cruise, but overall we had a good time.

On the island, Cococay

Parasailing, so cool! 
We started the summer with adventures to Bryce Canyon and Zion National Park where we camped on Friday evenings and hiked all day Saturday - we even got to Zion early enough Friday that we did some hiking that day too. We hit these tourist sites before most people were out of school, so it was much less busy that middle of the summer. We had so much fun and loved seeing the new scenery. We hiked all the way down through and out of Bryce Canyon, and that got us ready for Angel's Landing at Zion.

Me and what my coworkers call "My Canyon"

Down inside Bryce Canyon

On top of Angels Landing

Near the trail head of Angels Landing, this was after we finished the hike


Just after these National Park adventures and one of my trips to Denver, we got in our first car accident of 2019 where we hydroplaned going about 70 MPH, followed by rolling down a 30 foot ravine. Miraculously, M, Uncle David, and I walked away from the accident (and into an ambulance). I still shudder at this experience and pray harder than ever when we are driving that we'll be safe. The feeling of being totally out of control in a vehicle is terrifying. I remember while it was happening, not knowing if I would live, if Jay would live, or Uncle David or M would. When I realized I was still alive at the bottom of that ravine while hanging upside down by my seat belt, I didn't care about any of my belongings in that car and all I could think about what get out of the car and get everyone else out. No worldly possession in a moment like that matters (not even the car), only the lives of those in the car. Uncle David had an impression a few moments before the crash to protect his head, and heeding that prompting saved his life. M helped him get out of the car after both of us had crawled out...I sat on a rock spitting out blood with a throbbing head and side. I suffered a mild concussion, some bruised ribs, and a nasty face injury. Luckily, all of the scans and x-rays confirmed nothing was broken - although my face was VERY swollen. Uncle David had some chest and back pain, that luckily were nothing serious. Mom and Aunt GayLynn met us at the hospital, and were able to take us home to Grandpa's for the evening and then eventually home for the weekend. We were so blessed to find out just a few days after the accident that our baby had survived and looked good on the ultrasound, measuring 12 weeks (about two weeks bigger than we thought). At times the moments of that day still replay in my mind...and when they do, I try to remember the miracles, focusing on how blessed the four of us are to be alive and well. We were shown so much love and support by family, and by our neighbors who sent get well cards and everyone who said LOTS of prayers on our behalf.

The view of the car from the road, just by the Portage exit.
The car after it was pulled out, and towed to the yard...Uncle David was in the back seat...angels saved him.
The day after the accident, this is where the air bag hit.
Two weeks after this accident, I went to San Diego for a conference and was so excited when Klaire, Curtis, and Matthew joined me for an extended long weekend. We had a blast touring the city of Coronado, playing in the ocean, visiting the Mormon Battalion museum and enjoying family time which was much needed after the travels and near death experiences of the accident.

Walking the beach on Coronado Island

San Diego Temple

The rest of the summer flew by with family coming into town for the Brady family reunion when we had a revolving door of guests, trips to Grandpa's whenever the weather permitted, and many trips to Denver and one trip to Texas. We wrapped the summer with a trip to Arizona, and Matthew went to Mexico while I stayed at home and worked. We also tried to go to as many temples as we could in Utah because we knew it was our last chance without a baby and in Utah surrounded by temples. We made it to Manti, Bountiful, Brigham City, Ogden, Logan, Payson, Cedar City, and of course the two Provo temples. We had previously been to Oquirah Mountain, Jordan River, Timpanogos, and Salt Lake City so we didn't check them off again.

The classic cousin picture

Bryce party at the Merrill's pond

Manti, UT Temple

Payson, UT Temple

Brigham City, UT Temple

Bountiful, UT Temple

Betty Jane and I making cookies

Swimming at home every day was certainly one highlight from our trip.
Just as the semester started and I came back from another trip to Denver, we got in another car accident on our way to Grandpa's. This time, it was a sunny day, and we were rear-ended by a driver who was looking at their cellphone and not paying attention to the stop and go traffic. Once again, miraculously we walked away, this time with no airbag injuries but rather some whiplash and added anxiety to driving. To add to this, earlier that day, I had fallen down half a flight of stairs at the Blaylock's house where I sprained my foot...yes, foot, not ankle. I thought it may be broken because by the time I trudged through the airport, and to the train station, and finally home, it was swollen and hurt everywhere. The non-stress test on the baby that I went to early the following week showed he was just fine and we could feel relief again. And, the x-ray on my foot showed no broken bones, but I did have to wear a boot of the next month. Our brand new car was totaled and we again faced the car buying experience. We now have a bigger car and hope to keep this one for many years to come.

M had washed the car that day, you can tell...it's sparkling.

I have the best husband, he took great care of me (as he always does).
Our 2nd new car
Fall was filled with M's studies, more trips to Denver for work, baby showers and preparations, etc. Nathan and Michela got married over the Thanksgiving holiday at my 38 weeks along mark. I prayed so hard that Jay wouldn't come until we were back in Provo. Thankfully our prayers were heard and we got to enjoy the week of Thanksgiving in the mountains with the whole Blaylock family.

Baby Shower, with Cheryl, Me, Grandma Eddington, Ashley, and Steph 

Lisa was my barista (again)  - we had Momosa's

 My last trip to Denver, it was so fun to visit the Merrills. 

Halloween Truck or Treat

Logan, UT Temple

Last trip to Grandpa's before the baby came.

Ogden, UT temple for Nathan and Michela's wedding.

We played Heads Up, and all the Blaylock brothers were acting/guessing, too funny not to share.

40 weeks along with Jay
The best gift of all concluded our year when Jay was born. He's the biggest miracle of all and the biggest blessing. His name comes from his great-grandpa Blaylock, whose middle name was Jay. And, one of the reasons we really loved the name is because it means victory. He fought through 2019 to be here, and we couldn't be more grateful!

Becoming a family of 3!
Here's to 2020 being an even better and more fun filled year.

No comments:

Post a Comment