Sunday, March 22, 2020

Leave, Work, and Viruses

The past two weeks have been unlike any other in my life. We wrapped up February, and jumped into March full swing. The first week of March was busy with making preparations for going back to work, and hurriedly trying to get some things done that I had been procrastinating. One of those things was an act of service. I noticed that a lady across the street had a baby within the past couple of weeks, I only met her once last year at a RS activity and I have never seen her at church. I finally thought of something I could do for her, make breakfast cookies. The first few weeks after I had Jay, it was tough to find time for breakfast because I was so tired every morning and just wanted to sleep when he slept. I whipped up the cookies, got up my courage and then she wasn't home all day. So, the next day, I watched and when I knew her car was home, I loaded Jay up in the baby carrier and we walked over. I was nervous!  And, then I learned that when you take a baby with you to someone's door, they are immediately much nicer. When the lady answered the door, I told her I lived across the street, I met her once at an RS activity, and I noticed she had her baby. She was so friendly and we had a great chat on the doorstep. I am so grateful I followed the simple prompting to go and serve, it lightened my day and I hope that I can continue to find more opportunities to serve.

Jay and I spent a lot of our time that week going on walks, which means I got to talk to people on the phone. Walking and talking is a lovely way to enjoy the day. On Friday, I spent the day out at Aunt GayLynn's with Jay. M took the 3rd of 4 CPA tests in the morning, so I headed out there a little after he left. On my way, I stopped by a lawyer's office to start an agreement for them to help us with our accident last year and ensure we get a fair settlement and all our bills paid. Spending the day with Aunt GayLynn was super fun! She got her knee replaced about a week and a half ago so we went out to help. I helped her with a little bit of laundry, but I mainly just kept her company. We tried to go on a walk, but it was windy and Jay really was unhappy by the time we got about 100 yards away from the house. We will sure miss living near the Jensen's when we move!

We also got to go up to Steph and Ken's house for dinner in Herriman, with Nathan, Michela, and Grandma and Grandpa Blaylock. It was so fun to see their new home and introduce them to Jay! We had a great time chatting, and everyone loved the caramel rice crispy treats that I made for dessert. I am so grateful for family!

The clan. 

Jay chillin' with Grandpa
 Saturday was a busy day of errands, prepping for the week ahead, and Grandma Eddington had her 90th birthday celebration. Because of the season still being that of flues, Jay and I stayed home while M went to represent our family. We also started the day watching M play basketball which was super fun! We were excited to have a short visit from Grandpa Blaylock before he headed to the airport and Grandma stayed with us through Sunday. That night we watched Frozen 2 which was actually pretty good! Sunday Grandma Blaylock watched Jay so M and I could go to church together. The whole time we felt a little off like we were missing someone, and we were, Jay! It was so nice to be able to attend the full two hours of church and enjoy them with M. That afternoon we had a wonderful time visiting and had Michela and Nathan over for dinner. We played Exploding Kittens, and then they all left. In preparation for work, M gave me a blessing. I am so grateful for M's love and support, and for his worthiness to be able to give me a blessing. I felt so much comfort and strength, and I am grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who cares about me and gives me courage and strength to do hard things.

M playing b-ball, Jay and I watching.

The first week back to work was a little better than expected and a little worse in other ways. Each day I started with a workout, a little bit of scripture study, and was online working by 7. This was much earlier than my normal routine during leave, but each day I got a little more energy. Monday/Wednesday, Jay was home with me while M went to school, and we balanced it pretty well. Tuesday/Thursday M took Jay to group meetings/work, then Nathan watched him in the afternoon. All of M's peers thought Jay was adorable, and Jay behaved pretty well for M during the things he had to do. On Tuesday and Thursday, I was counting the minutes until they got home and even ran outside when they arrived to get the much needed cuddles and hugs. I also got my annual performance review on my second day back, which made me really feel like I was back at work. The week was just a little more nuts than expected because of the coronavirus. The virus hit China a few months ago and is now in the US. Throughout the week of work, I was constantly getting updates. First school cancelled for M and moved online, then graduation cancelled, General Conference not allowing anyone into the conference center, temples closing, all travel for work was cancelled, NBA season, March Madness, etc. It was one thing after another, which made it even extra hard to focus at work.
Jay and I working together.

Jay's first day home from BYU - fast asleep...it must have been a tiring day.

Friday couldn't come fast enough because Kara and Seth were coming to visit! They were coming for one of the saddest reasons possible, their 15 year old nephew committed suicide earlier in the week so they were really coming for the funeral. However, we were so excited to see them and get to introduce them to Jay. Jay loved them, and gave them lots of smiles right when they got there. I was grateful work wasn't super busy so I could take off time that morning when they arrived. We enjoyed visiting, and I think they enjoyed playing with Jay. I worked again in the afternoon while they went off to visit family, and M worked on homework. Friday night M and I just chilled, after a long week, we were very tired. Plus M had been up really early to run to the grocery stores. Shelves are empty, but felt fortunate that the only things we couldn't get on our list was some gluten free noodles,  potatoes, and toilet paper. M said while he was in the store, it was hard to not get caught in the hoarding mentality because of the empty shelves.

Saturday Kara and Seth were mostly at funeral events, but we sent them off with a waffle breakfast. We did our Saturday duties, M ran to Home Depot to try to get some TP, but no luck. So, we just stayed home for the day, doing laundry, meal prep for the week, etc. That night after Kara and Seth got back we watched Sahara, ate ice cream, and went to bed. Movies are good ways to end long weeks.

Sunday we were extra grateful to have Kara and Seth. Church has been cancelled to help not spread the virus, so we held church in our home. It was a special experience to have M and Seth be able to bless and administer the sacrament in our home. We sang songs, and M led a great Come Follow Me discussion about the Allegory of the Olive Tree. We discussed how sometimes individuals are trees, we get cut back, pruned, we sometimes do what we're supposed to and sometimes not, sometimes we have good ground and sometimes we don't....but with all this, we have the agency to choose how we respond to the circumstances we are given. Kara and Seth shared great insights and it was fun to have the discussion with some other adults. I took them to the airport in the afternoon, and said our good-byes. We took a long afternoon walk with Jay in the sunshine, and enjoyed the rest of the Sabbath at home.
Uncle Seth getting lots of smiles with Peek-a-Boo

Uncle Seth, Aunt Kara, Jay
It was a whirlwind of a couple weeks, with so many blessings. Also, Jay reached 3 months!! Woohoo!
3 Months, happy, smiley, and sleeping like a champ (about 10 hours at night)

This is actually the trick for getting him happy :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment