Thursday, March 21, 2024

Pies and Parks!

I ate a lot of pie this past week! First, I found a GF pie crust mix at the grocery store for $1.75, so I bought it not knowing if it would be any good. It was a gamble, but for two bucks it was worth a risk. I was very pleasantly surprised! I made a peach pie with a crumble topping for the Pie Party on Pi-Day (3.14). It turned out super yummy! I was grateful I showed up late, so most people had already eaten a bunch of pie and didn't need any more. There was one other GF pie there, a strawberry pie. I also attended my first GF Cooking Club. There are several women in our ward and nearby community who are gluten free, so we're starting a once per month club. The hostess provides the food, recipe, guidance, and we all bake together. Hugh was a super trooper, and played around while I mixed the empanada crust together by hand. I was grateful Julie Ramirez was there, she helped me with Hugh and later with Jay when he came for a few minutes after school. We learned how to make empanadas and chicken pot pie! It was really yummy! I loved hearing all the opinions on different flours and what works and doesn't work. I am hopeful I can become a better baker and chef over the next year learning from these ladies. Jay joined for the eating portion of the event, but he really just wanted to play. Madelynn had new puppies, and Jay was very intrigued, but less than gently. I was terrified he was going to hurt one of them, but luckily he didn't!  


We were supposed to get a GIANT snowstorm last week, Thursday and Friday, but it never really hit us. Littleton (down by Grandma and Grandpa) got about 16 inches, and we got maybe two. They cancelled school in advance on Thursday, and we had NO snow - a small dusting on grass. Thursday night it started to snow some more, and what you see below is the amount we got. Jay did have school Friday, so we enjoyed walking to school in the snow. 


Because of the forecasted snow, Matthew stayed home from work an extra couple days. Jay was beyond excited to have Daddy join him for lunch or at least come down and eat lunch. One day Matthew pulled his chair into the family room so he could talk with us while he ate, Jay proceeded to grab a chair and sat across from him. It was very cute! 

Friday evening we had our festive game night, featuring all games of luck! I was very lucky in our first game, 3's, and then very unlucky all the rest of the games. We played Qwixx, Farkle, and SkipBo. Matthew isn't a huge fan of luck games, so we don't play very often. It was a fun treat and we had a great time spending the evening together! 

Sunday evening I got to attend the worldwide Relief Society Devotional. They broadcast the first part from Salt Lake, a recording of messages from the RS presidency and President Nelson. It was a beautiful evening. I was reminded that the relief we bring from being part of the Relief Society is the Savior, Jesus Christ. He is relief! We had the opportunity and obligation to share Him with everyone within our influence. I felt particularly impressed I need to share Christ with Jay, Hugh, and Matthew. My role as a wife and mother will have an immeasurable impact on their lives. With this in mind, I have the opportunity to share Christ with them, to serve them, to love them, and to lift them. 

I also felt I needed to improve at getting out of bed in the morning and choosing to start my day. I've been letting the boys wake me up, then I roll out of bed kind of being "forced" to start my day.  I have been doing better this week at rising before the boys and having time to pray and study the scriptures. President Nelson promised if we seek to be where the Lord wants us to be, He will help us be there every day! I'm trying to put this to the test, seeking spiritual time early in the morning. Overall, my attitude towards the boys and about life has been much better with this new found purpose and intention in the mornings. 

Good deals are my weakness, I can talk myself into needing almost anything when it's on a good deal. I found some Duplos on a great deal on Facebook Marketplace. The pick up location was kind of on the way to Costco, so it was simple to swing by and pick them up. I even picked up a free kid pool on Tuesday morning, we won't even be here for the summer but I couldn't resist! I barely fit it into the van, and was a bit nervous it would even fit. Minivan for the win! 

Got the pool! I had to slide all the seats all the way forward (except mine)

Exciting times ahead! We cleared out our basement on Saturday, sprayed for bugs, and swept up some random stuff. Cleaning out the basement has spurred me to get rid of a few things, so I made a quick run to donate this week. With our basement empty, construction has officially begun! I don't have any pictures yet, but we have one wall framed - the whole length of the house. The wood dropped Tuesday, and he framed Wednesday. Jay thinks all the sounds in the basement are trains, cars, or someone knocking on our door. For now, we're trying to keep the basement a secret so he doesn't request to join Wayne down there every day. 



The weather has been gorgeous this week! Good weather brings out my play first mentality. We've hit the park almost every day after school and usually after naps. The sunshine has been healing for all of us! I love watching the boys grown and learn how to do new things. Hugh is becoming a master of slides and stairs. He LOVES slides! He will go up the stairs and down the slide over and over. He's definitely my child. I loves slides, too! He also gets so excited when we start walking towards the swings, so it's probably fair to say the park is one of his favorite places. We have one really tall slide at our neighborhood park that is very steep. Hugh wanted to climb up, so I let him. He got to the top, and before I could stop him, he went face first down the slide! I jumped off the ladder to try to catch him, but I was too late. He got a face and mouth full of woodchips. He cried, I cleaned him off, he took a short break on the swings, and was ready for more. He's now much better at turning around and going feet first on his tummy! Jay always has an eye on Hugh and wants to do whatever he is doing. Jay has also been mastering different climbing structures at parks, and loves the big fast slides. He especially loves any park that has a double landing and climbing to the highest landing and going down the extra big slides. Jay is also getting better at pedaling his bike! He will pedal around the patio on his own, which is HUGE progress. I am excited and hope he continues to stick with learning it! Biking would be a great way to use his energy.

Hugh getting ready to climb the tall slide. 

Jay and Hugh swinging

Hugh and Jay on the motorcycle!

Hugh and Jay on the landing!

The boys have been playing a little more together, and I love it! Here a few pictures of recent happenings. 

Cooking for the last time in the cement only basement.


Hugh's fine motor is impressive, it took Jay a long time to learn this skill! 

They both still love this train! (Jay)

Hugh

Jay and Hugh both loved playing in a small bucket of water! It entertained them for quite a while! And, Jay finally learned how to use the squirter! He could fill it and squirt it, big win!


Free cone day! We made it to Dairy Queen for our free ice cream cones, then hit up a new park to eat them. Jay and Hugh didn't eat much of theirs, so I ended up eating most of the ice cream. We had so much fun exploring the new park and enjoying the time outside. 

Jay

Jay, Hugh, Mama

Hugh trying out his cone

Here is a picture of Jay's most recent school projects, he loved the fish the most! That's what he always wanted to show me. He also saw the dentist at school and got a free toothbrush. He has carried it all around the house every day since. He continues to clean everything he can think of. All you need is a little spit and some elbow grease. Jay's your man if you need something cleaned. He has cleaned window, weights, books, the play kitchen, the floor, his own teeth, cupboards, cars, etc. 





Hugh isn't quite walking, but is getting more adventurous on foot and on knee! He loves climbing onto things. He can get down from the table just fine, but when he's standing on the play oven door he signs and says all done and squeals until you come help him get off. Jay's learning how to help him off, which is helpful and a little nerve wracking. 





1 comment: