Thursday, March 28, 2024

Spring Break Part 1

I'll start with the last few days pre-spring break and then what we've been up to this week. Every month there is one time when parents are allowed to come onsite and be with students for "snack" time. It's a lunch time in the cafeteria and families can join the kiddos for the quick break. Jay's class goes at 10:00, which means he's really not hungry. Mrs. Ashley brought him a busy book, so Hugh and I joined Jay for a couple bites of snack and then played with him and his busy book. I enjoy seeing Jay's teachers engage with him, they're always positive and kind. We had fun this week matching all of Jay's play food to the picture he got at church about feasting on the words of Christ. He found all the food, then insisted that he find a plate, knife, spoon and fork to also match the picture. He has also loved running cars down this box track. He wanted the box opened so bad on both sides, then hurried and got his cars as soon as we finally opened it. He's such a sweetheart. 


Friday I pulled Jay out of school a little early for a chiropractor appointment, then we hit up a nearby park with Katey and the kids. They were finishing up their spring break, so we had such a fun time playing with everyone! We had our picnic lunches and enjoyed the beautiful sunny day. The time went too fast, but since the Merrill's were sick they couldn't come to our house as we originally hoped. 

Hope & Hugh

Saturday morning we went and loaded up as much river rock as we could fit into our empty 5 gallon buckets and a big toy bucket. There was a lady getting rid of a bunch, and if we shoveled it we got it for free. M was the hero, shoveling more rock than any of us could and in at least half the time. It was cute to watch Jay try to shovel, pull the buckets around, and help in his own way. I thought we got quite a bit of rock, but when I spread it out around our front yard, I soon realized it was probably enough to do the front gaps but not anything in the back. We may go get more, we'll see. 

Jay pulling and Matthew guiding, we were so grateful they let us use their wagon!

In the afternoon, we went to our community Easter Egg Hunt and party. The Merrill's joined us, and we got their just in time to hunt for eggs. I think each of the kids got a few eggs, but we missed the very beginning starting so we didn't get as many as we probably could have. They served free lunch, either a hot dog, nachos, or sandwiches, and as sides fruit, chips, and cupcakes. Jay loved the petting zoo, a little too much. They had these two fairly large bunnies with very soft fur. Jay learned that he could pick up the bunnies by grabbing the ears. Yikes!! I caught him doing it and we left immediately. Then, after lunch, Jay ran back to the petting zoo without my knowledge. Katey ran after him, and by the time she caught up, he had already grabbed the bunnies. The owner of the bunnies wasn't very happy and told him he needed to leave. I felt bad Katey had to take the stern look and discipline for me (and Jay). We kept Jay out of there, and went to the playground. The kids played for quite a while, and we stopped at another park as we walked home. It was a beautiful day, and so much fun!

Hugh and Hope sharing the one baby swing!

Loving on the bunnies! Kylee, Tia, Kade, and Jay

Sunday was another great day. I love serving in Primary, and they haven't released us yet so we're enjoying the last moments we have. Right after church, we loaded up food and headed to Grandma and Grandpa's house. Since Grandma had her ankle replacement surgery, she hasn't been able to walk or do much cooking, so we thought it would be fun to bring them dinner. It was also a bonus because it's Grandpa's birthday week. We hadn't seen them since Hugh's birthday, and we had a great visit. Hugh took a long nap once we got there, but when he woke up he was happy and showed off his walking skills. He took several steps and was overjoyed to show off. He also played peek a boo, and gave some great hugs and snuggles. Jay loves Grandpa, but because of Grandma's boot and wheelchair, Jay took special interest in her this trip. Grandpa still helped him find a suitcase, which was Jay's first agenda item upon arrival! Grandma still can't walk and has an additional broken bone in her ankle causing her a lot of pain. She has a great attitude and is being so patient and was actually taking it easier than I thought she would. We drove home in a pretty heavy rainstorm. I have been working a lot with therapists over the past year to decrease my PTSD symptoms that arise from driving in bad road conditions. I could feel the difference in this trip. I was nervous before we left, but M was so careful while driving and we made it home safely! I know prayers were offered in addition to ours for safety, and I felt strengthened by those. I am so sad we didn't get pictures on our visit, but here's a few of Hugh's recent peek-a-boo phase. 

Peek

A

Boo!

Our basement is coming along! Wayne took off a couple days last week to go fishing, so on Sunday he had the main long wall done. He's continued to work this week, and the framing is almost complete! It's so fun to see! Jay has figured out that Wayne works in the basement. Wayne is also Jay's primary teacher, and when Wayne went down to the basement one day after saying hello, Jay said bye-bye uncle. Now, Wayne is known as uncle. Maybe it's because Wayne has a beard like Jack sometimes does, maybe he just knows Wayne is a good guy and Uncle is way easier than Brother Riblett. When Jay sees the van outside, he talks about Uncle's van and whenever he hears Wayne in the basement he says Uncle down. I am very grateful Jay has respected the boundaries of the basement and hasn't tried to go down at all. 




My friend (and also my first counselor), Sam, took me to dinner for my birthday this week. It was an early celebration and an evening out was such a treat! M took the boys for dinner and bedtime, and I got to enjoy just chatting with Sam. She's an amazing woman and I got to learn about her and her husband (Wayne's) story. I feel very blessed to have Sam's friendship and I know the Lord truly inspired me to call her as my counselor. I hope we get to serve together again someday! 

Monday our first day of spring break was almost a bust. It snowed Sunday night on top of the rain and the ice was thick. We were very blessed the sun came out and melted it. We went to pickleball at the Stake Center, and it was wild! We had extra kids and it felt like we'd play two points and have to track down someone who had left or discipline some kid who wasn't making good choices. We all survived an hour or so, and then called it quits. 

Tuesday I watched two kiddos while their parents were at the hospital with their new baby brother. I only had the little girl for the morning, and she joined us for the chiropractor and playing at the McDonald's play place nearby. I haven't been to play place in a long time, and it was the perfect time to go, 9:30 in the morning and no one else is there. We had the place to ourselves and the kids did pretty good playing. Once we picked up the brother from school, we played outside and survived lunch and naptimes without the brother or sister napping. I was grateful when Grandma picked them up, and also very tired. I think Jay and I were both overstimulated, and took the afternoon easy. 


Jay climbing at the top

Hugh loving the slide

Jay and I cuddling, it's now our after nap routine and I love it! 

I am sure Jay would say today was the best day! We played pickleball in the morning, a much less crazy adventure. And, then we went to Katey's pool and Katey's house! He was sooooo excited! The pool features weren't on due to swim lessons happening, but we had a great time playing. Hugh refused to eat anything before getting into the pool, so he was crabby cakes until he finally decided to eat lunch. Then, he loved the water and toddled around in his float boat and enjoyed floating around in the lazy river. Jay enjoyed everything! He missed the big slides, but enjoyed going down the little ones and splashing around. It was hard to get him to stop to eat lunch! Kade, Abby, and Hope are three little fishes. They love the water, and the twins are becoming great swimmers! The miracle of the day was at the end when we were changing we couldn't find Jay's clothes and shoes anywhere. I knew he had originally put them in one locker, but they weren't there. We checked all the lower lockers in both the women's room and the family locker. I finally said to myself that someone must have needed his clothes and shoes more than us. Katey took a turn looking and tugged on a locker that had a lock on the outside. I hadn't touched it because of the lock, but when she tested the door it opened and there were Jay's clothes and shoes! It was a tender mercy from Heaven! I decided to let Hugh nap at Katey's and we enjoyed the afternoon playing outside. Jay loved driving the battery powered tractor and Kade was a super champ at letting Jay have lots of turns. Jay also loved messing around on the skateboard and with the rollerblades. I loved being able to catch up with Katey and have the extra sister time. I needed it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment