Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Busy and fun times!

Last Thursday I dropped off Jay at school at 9:00. At 9:20 I got a call that he had a fever and I needed to come pick him up. Kids have to be fever free for at least 24 hours before they can return to school, so that meant we were done for the week. Jay was acting a bit cranky before school, but didn't seem sick. I was surprised, and honestly disappointed because Matthew had Friday off and I wanted a few hours with just him. However, Jay did take a big nap almost as soon as I brought him home. I never measured a temperature, but he didn't want to eat and he took a long morning nap and a short afternoon nap. I think the sleep helped him feel better, because by afternoon he was mostly at full strength! Also notable, Hugh has learned how to squeeze his fingers into the gap of our screen door and the frame and open it. He loves outside and is determined to get there. 

Hugh making his exit

Friday was Matthew's first day off since Christmas time, and it was a much needed break for all of us! I had a whole list of yardwork for us to do, but it rained and snowed all weekend. Lucky for me, I had come up with an indoor to-do list as well. Matthew replaced the garage door lights, dusted our very high ceiling fan, and installed new blinds on our upper window. I got these cellular shades (aka blinds) last year for free. Our shades on our lower window broke, and the warranty covered a replacement. Well, they ordered the wrong style and because they are custom they can't take them back. I was thrilled and have been considering selling them to someone with my floor plan and making some money. I realized throughout the past year, I should really utilize them myself as a blessing from Heavenly Father. Those window let all the direct morning sun in, and with the shade, we'll be better able to insulate our house during the summer! Matthew did all the hanging by himself and I was very grateful and impressed! He's becoming more and more of a handy-man, I am proud of him for continuing to try things out of his comfort zone. 

Daddy and his helpers

He also did some deep cleaning of the window sill while he was up there.

This was also a week of many social gatherings, and by the last one I was social-ed out. It kicked off with a girls night, snacking and chatting. I was amazed at the difference between this gathering and when I talked with my sisters right after it on a video call. At the girls night, I almost felt invisible. I don't know if anyone really noticed when I left, other than that I took the puppy chow with me. Then, when video chatting with my sisters, I felt seen and loved. Oma always said, "sisters are more important than friends." And, that statement is still as true as ever for me. 

The next night was a baby shower for a gal I don't know super well. I don't know if she even knows me, but I wanted to support her and the ladies throwing it. I have been very grateful for supporters of the showers I have thrown. The snacks were awesome, and I won a prize for guessing the right mixtures of baby foods by smelling. I got 10 out of 17 correct and the next closest person was 8. The snow had fallen during the shower, and I was grateful I left at the same time as some other sisters so I knew it was slippery and I also could help some of the sisters clear their cars for their drive home. I made some mini gluten-free cupcakes and they turned out very yummy and cute. 

Cupcakes!

Saturday was a Stake day of events. In the morning, I attended a Primary breakfast. It was an appreciation breakfast honoring all the teachers, leaders, and people who serve in Primary. I almost didn't go, because I felt a bit like an imposter since I was already released. I actually really enjoyed it though! I got to visit with several of our Primary teachers and the Stake Primary leaders. I have grown to love and appreciate all of them over the past few years! In between things, I played in the snow with the boys and Matthew joined us for a bit. I recommended Matthew try the big hill with Jay, and they tumbled down and had a rough trip back up. I was laughing, while also feeling bad I recommended it and it went so poorly. Jay and I did just fine earlier, so the snow must have become too sparse. They have been great examples to me of faith and dedication to Heavenly Father. In the afternoon, we went to the temple with our Stake. Jack and Lindsay watched the boys for us, which allowed us to truly enjoy our time and not feel rushed. We were greeted by our Stake Presidency and their wives on our way into the temple, and our session was totally full which rarely happens. I knew many of the ordinance workers and those attending our session. It was a special feeling to be in the temple with so many people I knew. I didn't anticipate feeling the joy I did. I was almost giddy with joy and felt full of Heavenly Father's love for me and everyone there. I also felt the gift of perspective, eternal perspective. Right now it's hard to think of life after toddler stage, where they can both poop in the potty and tell me what they need or want. But, in the temple on Saturday, I got a glimpse of what the future may hold for our boys and it filled my soul with joy. After our temple session, we went to Red Robin with Anna and Ethan Jackson. I cashed in my free birthday burger and we enjoyed delicious burgers! The boys did well for the Bryce's, and Jay was in the same pants and underwear he was when we left him! 

Snow fun! (Jay)

Hugh still loved swinging in the snowsuit

Our Relief Society threw a tea party this past week. It was of course, not tea, but lemonade, hot chocolate, or herbal tea. I was a bit grouchy about going, but I enjoyed myself once I was there. I got to sit by some ladies I don't usually interact with, which was good. We also learned how to do some water color painting from my friend Taylor. I was pleased with how it turned out! 

My flowers

A very humbling moment for me this week was when I received a call from a dear sister I minister to, Rita. I have ministered to her since I moved into the ward, and over time we've created a great relationship. She's a sweet woman, and I've seen her come back to activity in the church after many years of not coming and she even went through the temple a few months back. It was 7:30 in the morning when my phone rang, so I was a bit concerned when I picked up. She said she had a question for me, and continued to say I hadn't talked to her for a while at church and she was calling to ask if she had done anything to offend me. My heart sank, and tears still fill my eyes when I think about that moment. Of course, Rita had done nothing to offend me! I assured her of that, and apologized for making her feeling that way. I am so grateful she called! She was willing to ask, willing to reach out to clear the air instead of dwelling on these hard feelings. Her question helped remind me of the importance of reaching out to others one by one. That's how Jesus served and spent most of His time in His mortal ministry. I shouldn't let the busyness of my callings take away from reaching out to the one person who needs to be seen, heard, or loved. I figured she was well enough integrated into the ward, I didn't need to be quite as assertive in reaching out, and I was wrong. I am going to try to do better, to be present for those around me and to see the needs of others even when I may seem to have a lot to take care of. 

We're making many trips to the airport this week. I picked up Oma and Papa at 10 PM on Tuesday evening, then Matthew took them and the Bryce's back to the airport at 4:30 AM. Matthew is on his way to meet with the German consulate so, he's parking at the airport so we don't have to do even more runs. I am grateful we live as close as we do, and that we can help family. We were exceptionally tired this morning, but we're working through it. 

We had our next inspection, insulation! We passed with flying colors and I am excited for drywall to be starting. Wayne is hopeful we'll finish by the time we go to Germany, but it's possible we may not. It's fun to see everything come together! 

Bottom of the stairs

Main room

Bathroom

Office/Bedroom

Jay has been getting better at building his trains. He loves driving through tunnels. And, Hugh continues to be a climber, keeping me on my toes.

Jay with his lego train

Hugh climbing onto the table at the chiropractor

No comments:

Post a Comment