Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Nymphenburg Palace, Marienplatz, and Father's Day

Saturdays are our adventure days with Dad, and we love it! Our first stop on Saturday morning was Nymphenburg Palace. We could actually walk there in about 40 minutes, so we walked there and back. By the time we returned home, we had about 16k steps and by the end of the day over 23k which equates to about 10.8 miles. We were exhausted! The Nymphenburg Palace was beautiful! Every part of the inside of the palace and outer buildings was ornate and intricate. Gold everywhere with huge murals on the walls and ceilings. We tried to do an audio tour, but in these places you aren't supposed to touch anything and you're supposed to be quiet, which doesn't work the best for our crew right now. With all this in mind, the boys still did very well. This was mostly a summer home for the royal family and it blows my mind, I don't know how you'd ever use that much space! Especially knowing how tiny of a place we live in here, it's very impressive because I bet commoners lived in even smaller places back then. The carriages were probably my favorite, beautiful, and amazing to think about them being pulled around. The sleighs were also beautiful, you don't see many sleighs in movies other than Santa movies so it's cool to think about real people actually using them to get around in the winter in snowy places. The grounds were magnificent too, so green and luscious everywhere. The rivers and streams and ponds were very full! It's been way rainier here than usual and you can tell by the height of the water. We were very cold and tired by the end of our time there, so we hurried home on our tired legs. 

Walking up to the palace, everything you see is part of it

Matthew and the boys before we went in

This was in the great hall

Another room, as you can see we were doing well at this point

Just a picture of the ceiling, and Jay

This carriage was the first style, carried by people. It reminds me of Emperor's New Groove

Behind the boys is a baby carriage, they said usually drawn by goats, dogs, sheep (can you imagine?!)

Soooo extravagant!

Another Carriage

I thought they slays were so cool too!

This chandelier reminded us of the one at the cabin, and this is in their Hunting Lodge 

The kitchen of the hunting lodge, isn't the tile pretty?!

Bath House, they'd bathe down there

So picturesque! This was in the back of the palace

The boys on the bridge

Hugh and Daddy in a Chinese inspired room

All the decor for this chapel was made of coral and seashells, incredible. 

The family at the back of the palace

We all took good naps, as Jay was up very early. Again, the naps weren't crazy long, so we hit the road back to the city center called Marienplatz. It was a madhouse! There were seas of people. I think all the Scots and Germans were in town because of the game on Friday evening. We weren't sure if we'd make it through the sea of people with our stroller. We stopped at a couple cathedrals, which Jay thought when he hollered it was fun because of the acoustics. Yikes! We had to leave quickly again, we were supposed to be silent in them. They were beautiful! Also, the city square Marienplatz is gorgeous architecture and I enjoyed looking at it. We hit up the Birkenstock store, and I bought some new sandals. I've had mine for four years and I have worn all the traction off and am about to wear a hole and crack through the soles. It's time! 

We didn't go in, but it sure looks like TJ Maxx from the US...probably better because it's a K

Inside the St. Michael Cathedral

Outside the St. Michael Cathedral, can you find me?

I spy a little Matthew outside of Frauenkirche

Jay trying out the bench

Jay was running away from me here inside Frauenkirche

Marienplatz, the little dancers in the clock tower do move a few times a day

Matthew and I at Marienplatz

Woohoo for new shoes!

Rossmann store, it's what they call a drug store, kind of like a mini Walmart

We wrapped up our Saturday adventures by eating pizza at an Italian restaurant in town. The menu was in German and maybe partly Italian, so it was really hard to know what was on the pizza you were ordering. Plus, the waitress didn't speak much English. We ordered a pizza with salami, a cheese pizza, and some pizza bread. The pizza with salami came first and I took a bite and it tasted like fish. Matthew kind of thought I was silly, his first bite was fine. But, we came to realize that there were pieces of fish all over the pizza. We are not fishy people, so we tried to pick off what we could and enjoyed the other pizza and bread more. I later looked up the translation of the word, and it was anchovies. I didn't know anchovies were fish, but now I do! 

Jay found out he could blow bubble through his straw, and here's the result below

Sooooo much happiness! He loved it and thought it was so funny!

Sunday was Father's Day. We missed our train to church by about a minute, so we had to wait 20 minutes for the next one to come. We ran all the way from our apartment and we were sweaty. It was probably a good thing we had to wait. We hopped on the train, then jumped onto a bus. The bus got us there only a couple minutes late, which is better than the trains would have done. We met some more people at church, everyone is always very friendly. We had a linger longer and enjoyed some sandwiches, veggie bars, meat and cheese, chocolate, etc. We waited about 10 minutes for our bus to go home, saw one pull up on the other side of the street and I asked Matthew if he was sure that wasn't ours....it was. So, we waited another 10 minutes for the next bus, then got on the train and then home. Hugh slept most of the way, and must have been extra tired because thankfully he did nap again when we got home. We gave Matthew a bunch of fun candy to try for his Father's Day gift. We got to talk to our Dads, which is always special. I cooked burgers for dinner which were really yummy and enjoyed paprika chips. They flavor everything with paprika, so it was the closest I could get to BBQ which is Matthew's favorite. For dessert we had Mars ice cream bars, yum! I love Matthew and I love watching him be a dad. He's so good with our boys. He had great energy, and they truly light up with joy when they see him coming home from work or chasing them around the kitchen or whatever it may be. Life with Matthew is better for all of us! It seems like many of our Father's Days we've celebrated in different places, and Matthew's a champ for always embracing whatever we do. 

On the bus to church

Cheers to the perfect dad for Jay and Hugh, we're so lucky to have him for forever!

If these two are on the couch, they are usually wrestling. At this present moment, they were both having a great time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment