Tuesday, August 13, 2024

Goodbyes and Routines

After a fun weekend, we all have a hard time getting back to routines, but we made the most of it. Grandma and Grandpa went to see the castles in Fusson so the boys and I had the day to catch up on groceries and play at a park. I had a park in mind that was a couple miles away and I decided since I let myself sleep in, that I would run to the park for my workout. Usually I try to do a workout before Matthew leaves for work but sometimes I am just too tired. Monday was one of those days. I got the boys and all the snacks loaded and started running. About 6 minutes into my run, I saw a very fun park through the bushes that had some toy ride-on cars sitting out for kids to use. I stopped and went into the park to let the boys play. They were sooooo excited and played so well. I finally determined going for a run would do me good, but letting the boys play and have fun at a new park where they were so entertained was probably even better. Once we finished at the park, we rerouted via the trains to the grocery store and then home. Embrace the moments! We only have a few moments left here in Germany, and I want to embrace the moments when they are good. Grandma and Grandpa joined us for dinner and we had a great evening chatting with them about all sorts of things. The boys learned to go to sleep with Grandma and Grandpa in our apartment, so we didn't have to do any phone call set ups or video calls and leave the boys to go to their place, which was nice. 

Jay loved driving the cars everywhere!

Hugh loved shooting hoops! 

Hugh practicing his gymnastics, funny kid! 

Hugh stole Grandma's glasses and thought they were so fun

Tuesday was the day we were all dreading for the last couple of weeks! I feel like Jay knew what was coming because he was sad from the beginning of the day. I tried to distract him by going to a nearby park and that worked for a bit. We came back and played at the neighborhood park with Grandpa while Grandma rested in our apartment. They left a little before lunch and we were sad to see them go! While they were here, Hugh learned both their names but especially loved Grandma. He even said, "Bye Bye Grandma" as they were leaving. Jay sat on the bench crying tears of sadness as they walked away. He was sooooo sad to see them go. Grandpa has a special place in Jay's heart, and Grandma's place got a little more special too during this trip. Jay would be really sweet and hold Grandma's hand sometimes as she walked. We had a wonderful couple of weeks with them and were so grateful they came! Dinner was a little quieter and a lot less fun that evening. 

Jay and Grandma

Grandpa, Grandma, escaping Hugh, and Jay

Jay and Hugh at a little park nearby

We went to a couple new parks this week. One park was way too busy. It was in the middle of the city and usually Jay was one place while Hugh was in another so I had divided attention. Jay got into a big circle swing with another little boy and started patting his head. Before I could see exactly what was going on, I could see the grandmother was very upset and the boy had started crying. I went over as quickly as I could and apologized. She was yelling at me in German, so I have no idea what she said. I asked if she spoke English, but she continued in German. I apologized and took Jay away and set him in timeout for a few minutes. He later splashed a little girl at the water place which also didn't result in making anyone very happy. We pulled out after that one and went home. I have realized all I can do is apologize, talk with Jay, and try again. Jay will learn as we keep trying and it makes me extra grateful for those who give him extra grace. I have also learned I should give more grace to kids at the park when they may not be so kind. Jay really loves to look out the window in our apartment and frequently will go there during meals. On this particular day, I noticed a big daddy long leg in the curtains. I kind of freaked out and said wait, get a tissue or a shoe....as I was running around finding something, Jay grabbed that spider with his bare hands! I squealed and he looked at me with a super calm, non-disturbed face. I opened the window and said, put it out there. He hopped up and threw it out the window, totally cool about it. To have the fearless-ness of a child, amazing! 

Jay did this slide a few times, it was fun to watch him get more comfortable with different paths

Fun water! It didn't quite run correctly, but it was still refreshing. 

I pinned Jay into the corner, it's the best place I've learned when I need him to stay put. 

Back to the tractor park to help us have a fun, easy afternoon. 

Thursday and Friday were very hard days. Thursday started with pouring rain just as we were leaving for the park. We headed upstairs and I convinced the boys to watch a show for a few minutes. When it let up enough, we headed out. Jay's digestive track was off and there was the biggest poop explosion at a new park we went to. It was pouring rain earlier, so we went to a park without water. Unfortunately for me, a park with no water means no way to clean him up. It was a lot of wipes, plugging the nose, and using a plastic back to throw everything into. He did it when he was on top of the slide, and I knew it was bad when he wouldn't come down! When he started to climb down and I could see some residue out the bottom of his rain pants, I knew. YUCK! We were so blessed we were the only ones there so I could get it cleaned up without anyone seeing. There was a super cool new swing Jay loved playing in and Hugh immediately found the water puddles. We love our rain pants and are very grateful for them. That night when I was talking with Katey and prepping dinner, Jay peed all over the couch....when you don't have things to clean up pee and poo well, it's a disaster and stinky. I did the best I could and did a load of laundry on hot that night to try to get the smells out of our house. Kara was available on my night walk, and I walked and talked with her until the boys were very asleep. It's amazing how sisters can boost you up when you're feeling down and I was very grateful. Friday was a better day, thanks to many prayers. The tractor park was our play place in the morning and another trip to the grocery store kept us plenty busy. Jay pushed the button to order a croissant, so we had a croissant it was sooooo yummy. It reminded me I should eat more of those before I have to go back to the US and live gluten free. 

All ready with no where to go...

Trying to watch a show for a few minutes...it worked better than I thought it would! 

Hugh found the puddle within seconds of being out of the stroller. 

Jay climbing up to the slide area before the accident. 

A very fun merry-go round like swing! He loved doing it with the daycare kids. 

Saturday we went to a kid's theme park called, Märchenwald. From all of the reviews and my friend's recommendation, it was the perfect place for kids ages 2-8 and that was totally accurate. Jay woke up pretty early, but was able to hold it together for the most part. It took us over an hour to get there on the trains and it was fun to see different parts of Munich as we rode. The boys loved the park! It was green and shady and beautiful. Jay loved the train ride which we did first. He also loved the rollercoaster ride. He thought it was amazing! The train went so fast and it would come back!! I loved the rollercoaster too! Jay also loved the big swing, while Hugh wasn't so sure about it. I could see the panic a little in his eyes while Jay's were pure thrill. We drove cars, bunnies, pigs, and horses through the forest. Hugh loved the dog he could sit on and ride. He was able to press the start/stop button on his own which he thought was very fun! We all went on this tiny circle ride and Matthew and I both felt sick for most of the day after it. We aren't as tough as we used to be! Matthew was still brave and rode the spinning flowers with Jay and we all rode in the balloons. They had huge slides that you'd usually see at a water park, but they gave you a little carpet and you flew down which was very fun! Jay wouldn't go which was sad. Some of the rides we got to start on our own, and someone had to give us instructions once because we were very confused! It was so unique and fun, we all had a great time! 

Welcome to Marchenwald! 

Jay and I on the roller coaster!

A pink Model T, how cool is that?!

Hugh and I driving the pig

Driving our horse! 

Hugh learned to navigate this climb quickly, and it was fun to see! 

Can you spot Jay? He's a little camouflaged.

The swing ride


Hugh holding on for dear life.


Jay and Matthew on their horse



Can you believe Matthew fit in there with Jay?! Impressive. 


Hot air balloon ride!

Spinning flowers, Matthew did not spin it.

Hugh loved the water while he waited for Jay to do the roller coaster. 

The dog that had it's own on and off button. 


Jay riding the Rooster

A little merry-go round

They had all these little displays everywhere, very cool!

The tiny ride that made us all sick.

The bunny ride!

Choo Choo!

Jay was very excited to see this tractor right by the entrance in a cool playground. 

Sunday was a very hot day and we melted a little going to and from church. When we can, we opt for the route where we take two trains and walk 20 minutes. I enjoy the walking time with Matthew and the trains are cooler and a little less loud and busy compared to the bus route. I taught the Relief Society lesson on Sunday and I was so grateful for the women who were there. We only had about 8 sisters, I think many are traveling for summer break. I planned a lot of participation points and everyone stepped up to the plate so I didn't have to do all the talking and sharing. We would have been done in 15 minutes if that had been the case! My lesson was based off Elder Soares's talk from Conference on Covenant Confidence through Jesus Christ. I enjoyed reflecting on how much our Savior helps us as we honor our covenants. It helped instill in me a desire to go to the temple as soon as we can when we get back, to be sure I talk more with my children about Jesus, and live in a way that I have access to the power of my covenants through Jesus. We took a pitstop on the way home at a little park so the boys could wiggle before the train ride back. 



Hugh discovered salsa is very yummy and wanted to dip it and lick it over and over again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment