There is no rest for the weary, we got back from AZ and jumped back into real life. Wednesday morning, I had to report for jury duty and Jay was sick with a nasty cough so we couldn’t send him to school. So, instead of being able to use the arrangements I’d made for childcare for Hugh and for Jay to be at school, Matthew had to take the day off. Jury duty was an interesting experience. I didn’t get dismissed with the first group that didn’t even get selected for a case, and I didn’t get selected to be the first 12 in the juror chairs when we finally got called into the courtroom. Listening to everyone in the juror seats answer the questions was enough of an experience for me and when the judge dismissed three, and both sides of the case dismissed another three, I was grateful I didn’t have to fill a seat and could go home! I was home a little before noon and we went to get our car from Jack and Lindsay’s house while Matthew was already off work. It was nice to have a little break together and it was sad when Matthew had to work the rest of the day. In the evening, I had a combined Relief Society and Young Women night where we had a gift exchange of our favorite things. I got a snowman that lights up and Jay loves it! He’s taken it as a personal duty to turn the snowman on every morning as soon as he comes downstairs. In general, Jay and Hugh love all the Christmas decorations! They're so happy they are up and want the lights on first thing in the morning!
 |
| Jay with the kids Nativity |
 |
| Hugh admiring the tree |
 |
| Hugh, rocking some Christmas glasses I won at a party forever ago |
Jay remained sick enough the rest of the week that we didn’t feel like he should go to school. Lucky for me, the weather was nice and we were able to go for walks and play at the parks where there were no other kids. Katie Dahl joined us Friday morning for a couple hours of park play and gave me some helpful tips to get Jay to learn how to stop and how to resume play after he physically hurts someone. Katie was willing to climb up on the playground and stayed right with Jay when a few little kids came. Jay’s impulsiveness requires us to be very close when other kids are around so the extra hands were super helpful!
Saturday we hoped to go up to the temple and I’d do initiatory and swap Matthew and he’d go. Unfortunately, Matthew started feeling really sick, so he wasn’t up for it. I took the boys for a walk in the morning, then we came home and Matthew took a short shift while I went to the temple. I missed my appointment, so I just had to walk in. I was grateful they fit me in and I got to do all five names that I brought with me. I love being in the temple and feeling the peace that resides there because it is God’s House.
Sunday was another day of sickness for the boys. Matthew felt well enough for an hour to go to the Spanish branch and I went to our ward’s sacrament meeting. The boys and I had fun at the park for a little time Matthew was gone. There were some people who were coming home from the grocery store and parked right next to the park to unload. Jay was fascinated and watched intently. They said hello, and kept unloading, and then when Jay wouldn’t stop watching, the guy offered Jay a doughnut. He opened his brand new box of donuts, pulled one out for Jay and offered more to me and Hugh, which we declined. Jay was so happy and when I asked him to share with Hugh, he quickly tore it in half and ran it over to Hugh. They enjoyed their snack and we returned home so I could go to church.
 |
| Jay eating his half of a donut |
 |
| Hugh totally overjoyed with his part of the donut! |
Jay’s enjoying Speech Therapy and Occupational Therapy, and Hugh and I enjoy the hour playing in the lobby. Hugh’s cuteness wins over everyone there and he’s very patient as Jay plays with his therapists. We used to go into the sessions with Jay, but the therapists have been trying to take him on their own so it’s been a nice break for me. We’ve passed the first round of getting the CES waiver for Jay, so now it’s on for review by the State and they’ll determine whether we qualify for additional financial help for Jay based on his autism diagnosis. We’re praying the right things happen and we are grateful for the financial blessings we have had to pay for all the expenses this year!
Our friends, the Bracy’s, are moving to Washington and they had a going away party at the Picklr’ on the 13th. Matthew and I really wanted to enjoy the night out and not worry about the boys running around the construction zone, so I asked Betty Jane to babysit. She did great, and I think she’d do it again if it worked again. It was her first time with both boys on her own, but she seemed unphased. We had an awesome evening eating food and playing pickleball. Amber and Brian Reiman are opening The Picklr’ at the end of December, but for our evening of playing, it was just friends. We taught another couple how to play and then played against Thomas Graham and Sean Self. Sean is a natural athlete, but had never played a real game. Thomas is 6’9 so his arms stretch the court and he’s quick handed. We had some great games and beat them 4-0. We pulled ourselves away from the courts to head home as soon as Jack got Oma from the airport. We arrived just a few minutes before they did and they grabbed Betty Jane and went home.
December 14th, Jay turned 5 and we made the day as fun for him as possible! We started the day with swimming at the Longmont Rec Center, or as Jay calls it, Katey’s pool. The Merrill’s joined us and Jay lived his best life for two hours. He loved splashing, running around, going down the slides, and feeling the water. Hugh lived his worst life for those two hours and acted like we were torturing him and wouldn’t leave my arms. We had a Winnie roast at Jack’s house with everyone and Oma for lunch. It was a chilly day without the sunshine, but the fire made it bearable. I ate way too many s’mores and even tried a new version of roasting a small caramel with the mallow and then eating it on an apple. Delicious! We made it home for naptime, which we all needed. When Jay woke up and saw presents and a sign, he was so excited! Then, Oma, Jack, Roxy, and Allen all came over to join the party! I made cupcakes into the number five for the cake and we had pizza for dinner. Jay was so excited about his presents! Roxy and Allen added to the joy as he opened them and they played with him. He was so excited about his sweatsuit, he took off his clothes right then and changed. He didn’t take off the suit until bedtime, put it on in the morning, off for church, on right after, and even snuck on the jacket the next day before I could hide it in the laundry. He also loved his lite-brite and did really well sharing with the kids. Jay lit up as we sang to him and he attempted to blow out his candles. We relit many times to give him as many attempts as he wanted, and Roxy was more than happy to help. Jay couldn’t wait to eat the cake and I was happy a simple cake did the trick! Jay is the happiest kid and finds joy in the simplest things! He has a zest and a zeal for life that’s contagious. He’s quick to laugh and so quick to forgive. He is a good big brother, always watching out for Hugh. He sees the good in everyone around him and presses on courageously through a life that most certainly isn’t always easy for him. He tries new things every day, climbs playground equipment like a pro, and eats basically anything that is served for dinner. We love Jay! He brings so much joy and light to our family every day!
 |
| Jay swinging, and Allen doing flips |
 |
| Jay and Kylee |
 |
| The crew gathering to cook and eat |
 |
| Daddy helping Jay roast his hot dog |
.jpg) |
| Jay is FIVE!!! |
 |
| He was SOOO happy to be celebrating! |
 |
| He also loved opening presents! |
 |
| Jay and Allen |
 |
| Jay, Allen, Roxy, and Hugh all gathering to help with the Lite-Brite |
 |
| Jay helping Jay put on his new sweatsuit - Roxy was absolutely embarrassed about Jay's changing of clothes! |
 |
| Jay and the legos! |
 |
| Hugh, Jay, Allen, and Oma inspecting the legos |
 |
| Oma playing Lite-Brite with Jay and Hugh |
 |
| Hugh, Jay, Allen, Roxy, Jack and Oma! |
 |
| Matthew, Hugh, Jay and Me |
 |
| Hugh and Jay with a few candles left to blow out |
 |
| Jay tried so hard to blow them out, we let him try many times and helped as needed. |
 |
| Hugh and Jack reading a bedtime story |
 |
| Jay, our favorite 5 year old! |
Sunday, I taught Sunday School. Matthew got to sit in with me and we did an example teaching lesson together which was really cool. I loved having him in there, I wish he was my team-teacher every week! In the evening, we got to attend a concert in Longmont where Kylee and Betty Jane performed with the band and orchestra at their stake center. It was a community concert and the youth did a great job! The music was beautiful and Jay and Hugh were thoroughly entertained by the cousins, aunts, uncles, and everyone else around us. Jay happily clapped and said, “Yay Betty” or “Yay Kylee” after every performance, which was sweet.
Katey brought Oma to my house Monday morning after we had our therapy appointments and then we took her to the airport. We were grateful we got to play with her for about an hour or so before she had to leave. It was a treat to have her around for the weekend! We’re excited for when Papa retires and he can make those trips with Oma.
Hugh and I got to go to Jay’s class Christmas Party on the last day of school before the break. He was much calmer in his room than he has been and he had his suitcase right behind his chair. The class made little Christmas trees and played a variety of games. It was sweet to see the three kiddos who came to sit by Jay when they were dismissed from the carpet. Jay loved to eat the Christmas tree more than decorating it and was very kind to share his candy decorations with Hugh. They made a gingerbread house earlier in the week and I could tell Jay knew more of what to do with the tree than he would have. After the party, we got all of our wiggles out with a long walk and delivering Christmas goodies to a couple of the sisters I minister to.
Jay and Hugh are slowly learning how to play with each other and it's fun to watch! Sometimes they do well, other times not so much. My favorite time of every day is when Jay wakes up from naps and wants to cuddle, he's calm, warm, and happy and it's so comforting to me as his mom.
 |
| Jay swinging with Hugh |
 |
| Hugh giving Jay a ride in the block bucket |
 |
| Our first experience with the kids coloring on each other. It was crayon and came off fairly well. |
 |
| Cuddles with Jay! |
 |
| They were being quiet, which is often concerning, but this time they were just having the best time reading...it ended right after this picture was taken. |
 |
| Hugh LOVES books and it's fun to see what he finds in each one. |
 |
| Hugh giving Jay a ride around the kitchen. |
 |
| They did a good job taking turns, Jay now giving Hugh a ride |
 |
| Our little pool is frozen and the boys like to walk around on it. Good practice for ice at the lake over Christmas Break. |
No comments:
Post a Comment