Friday, January 31, 2025

January - Let's go 2025!

2025 is now in full swing! We jumped right back into real life with kindergarten registration for Jay, therapies, and getting back to school. Jay had a rough first week, but has really improved throughout the month. When the weather is cloudy and cold, or they can't take a break outside, it's a little extra hard but it's hard on all of us. Jay enjoys going to Occupational Therapy and Speech Therapy on Monday mornings. Hugh and I play in the waiting area and Hugh's favorite thing to do is get water in a cup, with a straw. He does occasionally, very occasionally, play with the one toy they have there. 

Me and Hugh waiting for Jay at his therapy appointments

Matthew spent the second week of January in Florida for a work training. He flew out Monday morning and didn't get back until Friday evening. We missed him! Jay was so concerned when he saw the suitcase go with Dad and then Daddy didn't come back. I heard about it all day on Monday, and by Tuesday he could think about a few other things besides Dad being gone. To help us pass the time, we did a few fun things! We went to Kylee's basketball games. We had fun cheering her on, and the boys still talk about watching Kylee and love to yell, "Go Kylee!" Jay and Hugh were so excited when we went over to Katey's house after the game for dinner. It's been too long since we've been able to play in Longmont and we had a great time! Katey was so kind and made us dinner, so we enjoyed dinner and came home at bedtime. My major project while Matthew was gone was to put decorations up in his office. I finally gathered a picture Katey's girls drew for Matthew when he graduated from BYU, framed all the diplomas and certificates we've worked so hard for, and got a new frame for Matthew's favorite picture of the Savior. The ideas formulated in my head quickly, and I was so happy I executed it before he got home! I love it!

The finished wall! 

Daddy is still Jay's favorite person, and when Daddy brushes teeth to go to work, Jay sometimes joins. 

We also had multiple play dates to shake things up. Katey and Hope came over one morning, which was so fun! Having Katey come is like having another mom to take care of your kids, and also having a friend who just understands everything and me. It's the best! We had so much fun playing together and Hugh and Hope play so well together. My friend Breeanne and her little boy came over on another morning and Hugh was so excited to show them all the toys, and Milo (Breeanne's boy) loved our slide. Another friend and her two kiddos came over for a playdate on Friday. Hugh again did a great job sharing all of his toys and enjoying some extra company. 

Aunt Katey, Jay, Hugh, and Hope swinging at the park

I had the first baby shower of the year this month, for my friend Breeanne. I wasn't the true hostess, but I planned the games, made a veggie tray and a hot dish, and ended up facilitating the shower. We played the Price is Right baby version and had a guess how many gummies were in the jar game. I think everyone enjoyed the games and had a good time, plus Breeanne got hooked up with awesome baby girl things! I say the first baby shower of the month because I will be hosting another shower at my house in March. 

One super cool experience I had this month was going on a visit with the missionaries! I haven't been to a lesson in a LONG time and this was a very cool one. Our friend, David, came with many questions and truly seeking to find truth! He's looking for a community, and trying to decide if God is real. The Spirit was so strong during our lesson and I loved seeing someone who was so willing to be looking for truth. I wanted to shout for joy, and say, "You've found your community, you've found the truth! COME!" I did say that in some ways, and he did come to church the following day and has been back since. I haven't been able to go to another lesson, but I think it's so cool to see how the Gospel touches people! 

One of the biggest and most fun things that happened in January is Hugh turned 2! Our little guy is about 40th percentile across the board and we love our little bundle. He cutely holds up one finger on each hand to demonstrate two. Jay was beyond excited to help Hugh open gifts and to eat cake! Grandma and Grandpa joined us for our celebrations, which was super fun! The boys always get so excited, as soon as we say Grandpa and Grandma are coming! This time was no different and the boys didn't stop running around until their precious guests finally arrived. Hugh got some kinetic sand, new bowties, a new book, friction tractors and trucks, and a couple dump trucks for the sand this summer. I had fun making his cake and cooking a simple dinner I knew he'd enjoy. Hugh has strong opinions, like always wanting a certain spoon for every meal. The spoon changes, so it's best to let him get it. He doesn't want to sit in his booster chair at the table anymore. He goes to the bookshelf and picks out books to read and is very particular about the book he's getting. He's learned to put on his knit mittens all by himself and always gets the thumb in correctly, it's impressive! He loves jumping and shooting hoops in the basement. He is also in the "Show (blank)" something phase. He always wants to show Mama, or Daddy, or Jay, or anyone else he can think of and do a trick. It's very cute! 

Hugh! Let's go 2 the Moon! - He loves moons and finds them in every book, so I chose a moon decor.

He was more excited to open the bag then to take a picture. 

Look Mom, I am HAPPY...


Jay was so excited to help out!



I was amazed when he just put all these together when he opened it!



Grandma, Grandpa, Hugh, and Jay!



Another awesome milestone was Papa Ross turned 95! We had a big party for him down in Arizona and Katey and I traveled down with Hope. Matthew took the boys for a weekend and rocked the Daddy mojo. The boys love him and he survived the weekend flying solo. We flew out Thursday evening and Klaire picked us up at the airport. Hope had never been to an airport and it was so fun to see it from her perspective! She was wide-eyed every step of the way! The train got her jaw to drop, and she thought all the people were so fun to watch. She held my hand during take off, and sat with me during landing. We were grateful for the kind lady who switched us spots so we could all sit together. We had a fun visit with Klaire and Curtis after we arrived and then went to bed. We were tired! 

Riding the train at the Denver airport

Getting on the plane!

About to take off!

Friday morning we drove over to Pima with Klaire and her two kiddos. We got to visit with Oma's cousins, Ron and Vonda. I got to go do Initiatories at the temple, which was a beautiful and peaceful experience. Kara and her family arrived that evening and we celebrated Oma's 70th birthday! We gathered many inputs and messages from her friends and family and created a little book for her. We originally thought of putting them into a jar, but realized a book would allow her to store them and read them more easily. It was beautiful to see the influence my mom has had on so many people! She's a wonderful lady, full of kindness and love, and you could see it in the messages people wrote. We presented her with this book, pads to put on the bottom of her squeaky stools to make them not squeak, and a cheesecake. It was an intimate party, with just Klaire, Kara, Katey, and I with Mom. That doesn't happen often and it was awesome! My Mom gives a lot, and deserved a little giving for her 70th birthday! 

I have super powers and made all the kids fall asleep...

Temple time

Saturday the 25th was the big party for Papa Ross! We gathered at the church around 10 o'clock that morning and stayed until around 4. There were so many crockpots full of soups and all sorts of cookies to share. The structured part of the party consisted of a video presentation of basically all the grandchildren and their families recording something for Papa Ross and my cousin, Neil, put it together into one video, a talent show and a small speech from Papa Ross. We also got to take photos with him and he was a good sport for sitting in front of a backdrop for so long! It was fun to catch up with many of my Bryce cousins. We were only missing 3 total, which was very impressive! I shared more with people about Jay's diagnosis of Autism, and many people shared their empathy and love which was nice. I finally got to meet Ian's little daughter, Raya. She's not really little anymore, but it's been years since I've seen Ian. We got to spend a little more time with Kara and Seth and their family before they left around dinner time. It was so sad to see them go! The visit was too short! 

Me and Papa Ross

Papa Ross addressing the family

The OG's - Boyd, Liz, Jim, Mark, Dad, and Papa Ross

Papa Ross

He's had orange cake on his birthday as long as he can remember!

Michelle, Bethany, MaryAnne, Katey, Kara, Me, Klaire, Julia, Sara...Kamry and Brookie not pictured

Fun girl cousins!

Mom actually picked up a guitar and played and sang, it was awesome! And, this photo reminds me of when she was in High School! 

Hank, Seth, Jett, Kara, Katey, Me, Oma, Papa, Klaire, Piper, Papa Ross, Hope, Ross, Levi, and Stanton

Ian and Me

Klaire and her kiddos left Sunday morning to go to church with Kara and then continue their journey back home. Church in Pima was beautiful! Uncle Jim and Aunt Gayle gave their farewell talks before leaving for their mission to Samoa the following week. I felt the Spirit so strongly, maybe because I didn't have little ones, and it was so nice. Papa Ross joined us for dinner that afternoon, which was a special treat because so much family was in town we didn't know if we'd get to have him. He stayed and visited for a while. Katey, Dad, and I went down to Papa Ross's that evening and got to visit with him more and with MaryAnne, Uncle Jim, and Aunt Gayle. 

Monday morning was a fun time! We got all packed up, and convinced Papa to come home early from work so we could play pickleball. We had some great games and the weather was perfect! It had been kind of cold and windy the other days of our trip, so Monday was a welcome warmth. The time to load up came too soon, and we enjoyed our ride into Phoenix. We got In n' Out for lunch, my favorite travel meal, and ate it at the Guthrie's house. It was fun to see them, it's been years and years! They are kind, good people. Katey, Hope, and I made it through security and onto the plane without any issues. We enjoyed our flight home, even though I was sitting in front of them instead of on the same row. Seeing Matthew and the boys was a welcome joy! I think Hugh held a grudge for a little bit, but was mostly very happy I was back. 

I got to go to a Relief Society activity Tuesday evening after getting back, which made for a slow roll back into total real life. I also got to take dinner to Jack's family on Wednesday evening. Lindsay's dad passed away over the weekend, so while she was in Arizona, Jack was operating solo. I made lasagna, green beans, and cheese rolls, and between the seven of us, we ate the whole thing! Jack was only home for a few minutes before we had to leave because of his basketball coaching escapades. The kids were so fun to be with and my boys loved playing with them! 

January was a busy month, full of a lot of good I couldn't even mention here. Jay and Hugh continue to learn and grow and amaze me everyday. I'm grateful I get to witness their childhood first hand, it's a blessing and a gift. We've loved playing in the snow, Hugh and Jay both do pretty great outside on their own and it's fun to watch and see what they decide is fun! 


Sledding in the back yard, the perfect hill for a two year old

Jay loves eating snow! 

Snow play makes Hugh very tired, which is so cute

We worked on this puzzle together, which was a big effort!

Hugh has learned how to unzip his jammies and he innocently claims, "Mama, jammies came off"

Jay, Hugh, and I at school lunch

Hugh feeding Jay, they love to share food

Sandbox fun!

Snuggles with little Hugh

I felt very cool making this car ramp with our magnetic tiles


Hugh refuses to sit in his high chair now, so we get to clean up even bigger messes these days

Jay sometimes uses his Lite-Brite and does awesome! 

Jay and Hugh swinging

Jay's been doing awesome watching about 10 minutes of a show to let me shower in the mornings, it's amazing!

We rediscovered our golf set and the boys call it "hockey"

Matthew giving rides in the snow, so fun!

Jay wanted Dad to go through a "Jay tunnel" so Matthew attempted it and the boys loved it!

Jay inside a castle I built

Jay already to go upstairs and play while I took a shower

Hugh's riding his balance bike on ice, snow, or the cement and is getting very good

Jay saw me snap a picture of Hugh and wanted a picture of himself, too

Hugh rocking the Valentine's glasses I pulled out

No comments:

Post a Comment