Painting began at our house on President's day! They painted the main floor and the upstairs hallway, and redid all the baseboards in the same areas. It took them Monday through Wednesday to do everything and we really like how it turned out! It's taken some adjustment because it's soooo different than it was, but it is beautiful. While they were painting, we lived in the basement. I was so grateful our basement was finished so we could enjoy a bathroom, carpet, and everything we needed for entertainment! We picnicked downstairs each day for lunch, which made for a fun adventure. Katey and Hope joined us in our basement dwelling on Wednesday when I had a class in the morning. Luckily, by the time they finished their work in the evenings, we had dinner at our kitchen table and we all slept in our regular beds and rooms at night. Three days was enough time to feel displaced and greatly appreciate having my home back!
 |
| I wondered how'd they paint up that high, and here they are! |
 |
| The finished kitchen |
Monday, President's Day, we went bowling with the Bryce's and the Merrill's. Jay had a big spill on his first or second turn and then was pretty hesitant to keep going. Katey was the super aunt who helped him bowl almost every time! Hugh wanted to bowl too, so he took a few of Jay's turns. When Jay was struggling, Jack sat with him and talked to him. Then, Lindsay saved the day with extra snacks. Jason walked around with Jay in the arcade when he was done bowling. It took the whole crew to help the day be successful for me and I was so grateful! We lucked out hitting a special where we could bowl two games so Hugh and I stayed with Jack, Lindsay, and Allen and bowled the whole time. We went to Katey's for lunch and then I helped Kylee, Tia, and Katey whitewash some new bedframes they got. We found the bedframes for free on the street on a Sunday walk, and went back and picked them up for the girls. They worked hard sanding, and then we refinished them. They turned out very cute!
 |
| Katey helping Jay, Jack in the background |
 |
| Hugh thought his own water cup was so fun! |
 |
| Aunt Katey helping Hugh |
We had a Relief Society activity on Tuesday evening and I got to pull out my sewing machine! I sewed hearts all night, which was fun. I also taught a sister how to sew that had never sewn before. She did a great job, and I realized how hard it is to teach someone a new skill. It was nice to have an evening out and some time with women in the ward.
We drove for the first time to Brantner Elementary school for Kinder Round up! If we decide it's where Jay needs to go, it's going to be a drive. It took me a little over twenty minutes to get there. We met Matthew there after work and got a tour of the school. I had the chance to discuss with the vice principal a little about Jay's needs and asked what we could do to make sure he's set up for success day one of the school year. She connected me with some people in the district special education department and I hope we'll be able to find some answers soon. .......I stopped writing (as in literally stopped) because I got a call from the Special Education department. We were informed if we send Jay to Brantner, or Padilla, or anywhere outside of our school district, and they determine he needs central program, like an Autistic classroom, and they don't have capacity to take him, they'll send him back to his home school. Their Autism programs are currently full, with waitlists. Jay could get on the waitlists, but will always be lowest priority because of being out of district. I was heartbroken getting this news. I thought we'd found a hopeful solution where Jay might actually be able to find success and support, and then we were told no and our chances of any help are very slim. Our district has no autism programs or trained professionals. We also felt anger, anger that we know help is available but because we live on the wrong side of the street we can't get access to the help. We're on the waitlist for Padilla, and I don't think we'll be sending Jay to Brantner, it just doesn't make sense if he can't access resources for Autistic kids. We're looking into additional ideas for how to get Jay support he needs close to home and through the home school. We're praying and realize that Heavenly Father has a much better and grander plan for Jay than we even come close to understanding. We'll find Jay what he needs with guidance from Heavenly Father because He loves Jay so much and is there to help us!
We were so excited when the painters finished and we got to put the house together again! We kept pictures off the walls for a while to let the paint cure, but having couches in place and our living space back was a great blessing! We're spending any good weather day outside walking and going to the park. We have to take advantage of the sunshine when it's here. I think we're all itching for summer and we've still got a lot of winter and cold springtime ahead.
 |
| Hugh bundled up to stay warm in the car during school drop off and errands! As he would say, "it's coldy, coldy, coldy!" |
 |
| We try really hard to go on Sunday walks, we enjoyed a short stop on our walk this week at a park. |
No comments:
Post a Comment