A couple months ago, Kara started talking to me about coming for Spring Break. I was so excited! They were considering driving, driving two days, staying for two, driving for two. I selfishly wanted more time with them, so I started the hunt for plane tickets. I was ecstatic when I found times and costs that would make sense for their family to come via airplane! They purchased them, and the time finally arrived for their arrival. I helped Matthew get the boys ready for bed, and went to get them from the airport on March 12th. I accidentally told them the wrong level for pickup, but they were able to quickly find me. The boys were really excited to see the slide in our basement and Levi said, "one or two of these walls looks new." We laughed because there were no walls down there the last time he was here two years ago. It took them a while to wind down from their fun airport adventure and a new play area, but they finally got there and we all went to bed.
Before they came, we had some battles with croup. Croup is soooo scary and it got Jay first. Jay usually battles through it and it's mostly just a bad cough. However, this time it was a middle of the night coughing spell that wouldn't stop. Matthew gave him a blessing, I tried to get him to come outside with me, we eventually got some ibuprofen in him, and I went to sleep with him on his bed to make sure he kept breathing as he went back to sleep. Seeing your little one struggle to breathe is such a scary event, and I have learned over the past several months to recognize croup at an early onset and feel pretty grateful. We got Jay into the doctor the next afternoon and she prescribed us the steroids and gave us an extra dose so we could be ready if Hugh started showing symptoms. Hugh was a little later, and we did end up needing a middle of the night steroid for him, but he only needed that one dose. We felt very blessed and grateful the sickness didn't come right as family was arriving and I don't think we passed it on!
Thursday was our adventure day! It was beautiful outside and we walked to the pickleball park. We played in the sand, the big boys did the scavenger hunt, everyone climbed on the equipment, we played pickleball, and enjoyed feeling the sunshine! It was so nice to be outside and be together! Seth has never been to our house, so it was fun to show him the area and enjoy having the whole fam bam here! We also went to another park in the afternoon and I showed the boys, Kara, and Seth how to ride my fancy scooter! Ross and Levi especially had a great time and did so well! Jack and the kids came out after dinner to visit and play. We were grateful they were willing to make the trip down even just for a short time. Having extra time in the evening to visit with Kara and Seth after the boys were all in bed was awesome! I love having people stay with me, mostly for the time without the kids after bedtime.
 |
| Hank and Jay |
 |
| Ross, Hugh, and Kara |
 |
| Levi digging, Hank running in the background, and Hugh digging |
 |
| Hugh helping Hank dig, it was very cute! |
 |
| Hugh and Jay sitting on the sand table |
 |
| Hank, Jay, Hugh, and Ross |
 |
| All the boys playing pickleball! |
 |
| Hugh decided laying on the court was his favorite part! |
 |
| Uncle Seth gave Hugh a ride home and Hugh almost fell asleep! |
 |
| Kara riding the scooter! |
 |
| Ross's turn |
 |
| Go Levi! |
 |
| Hugh chose to ride the wiggle car to the park, and really did quite remarkable for how far it is and how little he is. |
Friday was Pi day, or 3.14, or March 14th. Katey came down with a nasty sickness and wasn't able to bring the clan to party with us, which was a major bummer! We missed having her and her family with us. We attempted a walk in the morning and made it around the block. The wind and rain started picking up as soon as we went out and we were stubborn enough to not turn back! Ross ran all the way around the block and let himself back into the house. We were freezing just in our few minutes out! We determined inside play was the best option, so we got out the playdough and kinetic sand. They all had a great time and that took us up to lunch. Jack and the kids came after lunch, and Lindsay joined us once she finished work. We had pizza for dinner and pies for dessert. I made a chocolate ganache pie, and it was sooo yummy! I got my new glasses, and Kara and Betty Jane came with me. Jay had a hard time playing with cousins over the two days. He loved them, but I think felt a little overstimulated and wouldn't be very nice. We took a lot of breaks on the stairs and tried to make better decisions. The kids worked hard at including him more and overall I think he got a little better at times and a little worse. He still loved it and was so tired at the end of every day! Hugh loved reading books with Ross and Levi and having the extra love and attention. Matthew's work got crazy busy while they were here and it didn't allow him very much time off, he didn't even get to enjoy Pi night with us.
 |
| Ross reading Curious George to Jay |
 |
| Hugh and Jett playing with the cars! |
Saturday morning we used as a reset. We got the Black's off to Longmont, then went for a walk and to play at the parks. We needed some regularity and some time with just ourselves. The boys had a great time playing and I enjoyed walking and getting outside. After naptime, we went up to the Merrill's and enjoyed yummy taco salad and playing at their house. It was interesting to observe Jay there and see that he mainly stuck upstairs and played a lot on his own. I think he knew it's what he needed to do to regulate. Hugh mostly stayed nearby too, which isn't too unusual because he always wants to know where I am. We did baths after dinner and enjoyed the short visit! The Blacks stayed with us that evening, which meant another fun night of visiting for Kara and I. Time to talk and think aloud with a sister is one of my favorite things!
Sunday morning Jay had his usual big bowl of oatmeal and yogurt, but wanted the cold cereal added to the top. Kara was sure he wouldn't finish, so when he did, we sent a happy Jay photo! I taught in Sunday school and Matthew translated for a friend who was visiting who only spoke Spanish. It was cool hearing him in the background translating what I was saying! Hugh was coughing pretty good, so we had him in class with us too. And, our class had almost 15 youth in it, so it was a full house! We got some good naps in after church, then got to spend the afternoon and evening with Brad and Kirsten and their family! Their kids are incredibly good with Jay and Hugh, so patient and kind and thoughtful. We had a great time visiting with them and seeing Grandma and Grandpa. The weather was beautiful, so we spent our first bit of time outside throwing the frisbee, kicking the balls around, and enjoying the fresh air in the backyard. I made caramel rice crispy treats and they were a big hit! We got to meet little Devin, who is so cute and kid number 9! Brad and Kirsten are amazing parents and I am always amazed by how wonderful their kids are! They taught Jay how to play duck-duck-goose, which he loved! He did not quite understand it, but thought it was great fun! We were sad to say goodbye, our visit was way too short, but we were so glad we got a visit in!
 |
| Jay happy to show off his empty cereal bowl. |
 |
| My two little Sunday School helpers. They love setting up chairs and hanging out in the classroom until it's time for their classes to start. |
 |
| Hugh was too cool to nap, so he and I got some cuddle time. |
 |
| Claire, Grandma, Grandpa, Olivia...then in the circle, Kyle, Matthew/Jay, Daniel, Elise, Hugh, Madeline, Katelynn. |
 |
| Elise tracing Hugh's hand, and Claire tracing Jay's |
 |
| Jay and Daniel are about 8 months apart, so fun! |
 |
| We attempted a standing photo, but Jay was being silly so the size comparison is still a little off. |
 |
| Madeline and Hugh, one month apart and finally started to like each other about 30 minutes before we left. |
Monday was a park play day in Longmont. We pulled up to the park after going to Speech and Occupational Therapy, and it was soooo busy. I was tempted to drive back to Katey's house and say we'll see you all when you're finished. I didn't, and Betty Jane saved me. She stuck with Jay the entire time. There were so many kids there that it was hard to keep track of Jay and make sure he was being kind and staying close, etc. She was my saving grace who allowed us to stay and play at the park with the family! At lunch, I told my siblings that I was going to have a baby! They were all so surprised and happy and it was so fun to share! We'd wanted to do it earlier, but it just didn't happen but the lunchtime worked great. I also told Oma and Papa, and Klaire later that day. Papa, I think, didn't believe me at first. I told him it was his birthday and he said something to the effect, "Are you joking?" We're surprised too, and excited and soooo grateful! We've been hoping and praying for a baby for a long time and are grateful for this little one! Back to Monday shenanigans, we went back to the Merrill's and I tried to help Jay nap. I was so tired, I was in and out of sleep, but he would not let himself rest. He would hear the fun happening and didn't want to miss out! I tried for about an hour and gave up. We had a fun afternoon and enjoyed dinner with the family before heading home. Matthew was kind enough to work from home so I could have the car and we were all excited to see him when we got back!
 |
| Hugh, rocking the playground! |
 |
| Hugh, a little nervous he got to the top of this arch and wasn't sure how to get down. |
 |
| Hugh and Hope swinging and Levi pushing |
 |
| Jay's innocent, "What Mom, I just can't sleep" look |
 |
| Jett, Seth, Kara, Lindsay, Kade, Jack, and Katey playing Code Names |
Tuesday, March 18th, Jay returned to school. I think the routine helped him feel a little more normal, which was good. We hosted family dinner at our house and had the whole crew here (Jack's family, Katey's family, and Kara's family. We set up another table and a kid table in the kitchen. Everyone pitched in to make dinner a huge success! When family comes together to put a meal together, it's amazing! We had three rigatonis, three loaves of french bread, and fruit salad and everything was gone except a few servings of rigatoni. It started to snow that evening before we left for the airport and the Black boys were so excited! They got to see snow and they were thrilled! I was nervous about the airport drive and did my best to stay calm and confident in our ability to stay safe. It was a sad and quick drop off at the airport, and their trip went too fast. It was wonderful to have them here and we enjoyed all the moments! Ross and Levi read books to my boys in the mornings and Hank colored a beautiful flower for Jay. Jett finally let me help him with things and he gave me a hug goodbye, so big wins there.
 |
| Oma and Papa gave the boys these shirts and they LOVE them! They are from their trip to Hawaii. |
 |
| Jay's teachers decided Jay should be a tourist when he grows up, and it seems quite fitting to his picture! |
 |
| Kade, Hugh, Hope, Jett, and Abby at the kid table |
 |
| The whole kitchen crew! |
 |
| Jay pulling Hank around before we left for the airport |
 |
| Levi and Ross made this, and it was to share with the cousins, so sweet! |
The rest of my week I spent feeling so sick. I got a bad sinus congestion cold and had a hard time sleeping, resting, and getting enough energy for life! We had to cancel our Friday evening plans and I laid on the couch during pre-school times. It was rough! The boys handled my lack of energy quite well, which I was grateful for! I had my 12 week appointment and was grateful to hear the baby's heartbeat and Hugh was my super trooper companion. Saturday I was feeling a little better, so we met up with Katie Dahl at a nearby park. It was a couple miles away, so I biked and pulled the boys. The ride there was a constant uphill and the combination of pregnancy and feeling sick earlier in the week made it extra hard! I was grateful the ride home was much easier. We loved our park playtime and Katie worked with Jay on some behavioral therapy strategies to get him to keep his body safe, aka, not hitting or using physical contact to get a need met. She's amazing and we had a great time!
 |
| Hugh learning the scale will turn on when he touches it! |
 |
| The boys LOVE when Dad comes home and reads books to them and plays with them! |
 |
| Hugh riding the motorcycle at the park |
 |
| Everyone sharing a yummy dinner treat! |
 |
| Jay mastered these steps while we were at the park and I was so impressed! |
 |
| I told them to say cheese and smile, it didn't work, and they were SO done in the trailer. |
Sundays right now are an extra sacred day in our family. Matthew has the day off and it's the only day we get much time with him, even when it's limited by his extra meetings for Elders' Quorum. Jay's primary teachers are working really hard with him and being so patient, we are grateful! Hugh is finally loving nursery. I just walked him into the class by the hand and shut the door before he knew it, and since then, he's done amazing. He's always excited to go! Sunday afternoon walks have become a staple for us. Matthew and I get to talk, while Hugh and Jay ride. We've even been braving some of the cold Sunday's and it's been worth it! Jay woke up one morning and determined he should go to work. He put on Matthew's slippers, his coat, and pulled up the chair to the desk and started typing. It was very cute and he did not want to leave his post! Someday he'll have plenty of time to work, so right now we're working on getting him to play!
 |
| Jay at work! |
 |
| So happy to be like Dad! |
No comments:
Post a Comment