Saturday, May 10, 2025

Family Time and Projects

The weeks seem to be flying by so quickly, I can't keep up! April ended in a whirlwind and we're already well into May. After I finished up my last week of my Hanen training course, Katey and Hope came to enjoy a Wednesday with me when I didn't have class. We went to Barr Lake State Park, which is about 15 minutes from my house. Hope and Hugh got on their little backpacks and hopped on their bikes for the big adventure. They did amazing as we walked around part of the lake. They loved seeing the birds and the ducks in the water. It was a beautiful day and we made it back just in time to pick up Jay from school! Mornings with just Hugh and Hope are simple and so fun! They play really well together and are some of the cutest two year olds. 

Hugh and Hope with their backpacks looking at the advertisements. 

Hugh crushing the look with sunglasses he insisted on wearing.

Hope and Hugh biking across the long bridge

What do you see? They had a hard time actually lining up their eyes, but thought it was still fun!

Me, Hope, Hugh, and Katey

Matthew started May with a trip to Lakehouse in Florida for training for work. He went to Sacrament meeting at the Branch, our second hour (which is first), then had to leave for the airport. I knew I'd be alone in Sacrament meeting, so I asked the Dahls if they would be willing to help me with the boys. They were lifesavers! The last time I watched the boys on my own during Sacrament meeting, I left church in tears and doubting Matthew could ever have a calling where he sits on the stand because I can't do that hour without him. The Dahls are incredible with the boys and they did really well! Jay and Hugh were a little confused where Dad was when we got home, but handled it all in stride. I spent the afternoon making homemade graham crackers so I could eat some leftover frosting on them, and be ready for the upcoming winnie roasts. Talking with Matthew while he is on work travel brings back floods of memories of our long distance dating. How grateful I am for technology that allows me to see and talk with him, even when he's across the country! We balanced Matthew's time away by starting projects and playing in the basement because of the never-ending rain that came while he was away. The Dahls also invited us over for dinner Monday night! The boys loved having dinner at Sister Dahl's house and thought it was the best! Even the next morning they were requesting blueberries, and when I said I didn't have any, they insisted we go back to the Dahls' house to get some.

I've been working on putting time into myself and doing things I want to do. Sometimes it's easy to get all-consumed by the to-do's of life, I forget I should take care of me. I've continued my morning walks at least once a week with Breeanne which is fun and Hugh loves getting to play with Milo who is four years old. They have done really good on their strider bikes, and also enjoy riding in the stroller when biking gets too hard. I have begun the process of refinishing our dining room table. It's a major project! It's much bigger than I originally anticipated, but I am learning. It's taken A LOT of effort to get the top varnish off and I'm now painting the table legs and all the chairs and the bench, which was not part of the original plan. I think it will be beautiful when I am done! We also had another cooking club event where I learned to cook salmon, a yummy dressing for it, and a delicious fluff jello. I enjoy visiting with the cooking club ladies and they LOVE having Hugh which makes for a great time! 

Hugh and Milo - enjoying some mid-walk snacks after stopping at the park to play

We've been able to squeeze a few more family fun things into the last few weeks as Matthew's work has somewhat slowed down. The day after he got back from Florida, we went to Kylee's middle school play. She did a good job, and seemed to really enjoy it! The boys did well for the play not being a musical. The Bishop's family invited us over for dinner one Sunday evening, which made for a fun night! They grilled steak and we brought dessert and another couple, the Jacksons, brought some sides. We also had the missionaries over for dinner one evening and the boys loved it! They get sooooo excited when they see me set out extra dinner plates and most of the time they know it is the missionaries. We volunteered for an extra Saturday church cleaning assignment and the boys were very excited to participate in that. They were very distraught we didn't get to gather all the trashes, but did help with vacuuming the chapel and cleaning up the trash in there. We went on a family date night to In n Out and ate at a new park. We didn't know it was open, so we went to check it out. It happened to be the grand opening and it was fun to see a whole restaurant full of workers trying to learn a new trade from more experienced workers. The boys loved the little activity books and hats they got. 

Jay loved helping put all the benches back after Kylee's play! 

Jay and I waiting to start our walk.

The boys are getting better and better on their bikes!

In N Out hats and books, woohoo!

Our most exciting family event was getting "dirt" for my grow boxes! We drove up to Longmont in the morning to get Jason's truck and Jack's wheelbarrow, then hit the place for soil on our way home. It took us two truck loads to get all the soil we needed for the grow boxes. Matthew and the boys did all the unloading! I lined the beds with weed barrier and made sure everyone stayed safe in their hauling. The boys LOVED it! They loved helping in the truck, loading the dirt with shovels, and watching Matthew pour out the loads. We finished the whole job in about 4 hours and the boys zonked out when it was finally time for naps. They played and worked so hard! We finished our day in Longmont for a family winnie roast and returned our borrowed items. Jay made sure we returned the truck and the wheelbarrow, as he was very concerned we weren't going to. The weather for the winnie roast was PERFECT! I could have stayed outside in the green grass, chilling with family, roasting s'mores all night long. It's my happy place, and a place that fills my soul. I think it comes from so many years of winnie roasts at Grandma and Grandpa Great's house. It was a time when cousins didn't work, we played, and the worries of the world didn't seem to exist. Jay, Allen, and Kade did a little wrestling on the trampoline, which was fun to watch as they each learn how to play together in their own unique ways.  

Jay using a bucket to haul dirt

Everyone loading up the wheel barrow

Jay and Matthew scooping into the boxes.

The boys loved staying in the truck and just playing, they got royally dirty by the end!

As we've had some more time in the evenings, we've started to read the Chronicles of Narnia. Matthew has never read them, and it's been a fun way to spend our time together! We are reading the Magician's Nephew, which is much more interesting as an adult than it was as a child. I have been loving it! We also had a double date with the Jacksons to play Clue. We witnessed a whole new level of playing Clue with them. They tracked everything people did and asked for, in a way I had never thought of! The best thing we got to do was go to the temple. We did Sealings and Katey watched our boys for us. It was beautiful to be in the temple and brought added peace and perspective for both of us. 

Jay has been rapidly finishing up pre-school and I had his transition to Kindergarten meeting. We introduced our ABA Therapist to the school staff and met all the support staff that will work with Jay in the Fall. It was an interesting meeting, and the biggest win was convincing them we need to start Jay at half day and slowly work up towards a full day as the year progresses. We finally found an Occupational therapist to come in home for Jay. She specializes in kids, and it's been sooooo hard to find an OT to come in home. We feel blessed and watched over! 

He's mastered the use of these diggers at the park which is super fun!

Here are a couple cute crafts he's done at school. 

This made me giggle!

Jay got to meet Fletcher the Fox during his snack break, and loved him!

Jay working hard to clean up his crumbs off the table. 

Step 2, eat the crumbs!

I taught Jay how to fold his socks, which he's done amazing at!

Hugh is a little climber, getting braver and braver on playgrounds and on things around the house. He loves showing his strong muscles and all the things he can do by himself. His most recent phrase is, "I'm okay." When we say it's time to go potty, he says, "I'm okay." Time to eat dinner, "I'm okay." He loves wearing his cowboy boots, a hat, and sunglasses. He usually always falls asleep by his door, and occasionally we see little hands poking out. 

Hugh, Katey, and Hope


Rockin' the swing

I see little fingers!

Hugh wanted to walk home from school drop off. It lasted until he wouldn't listen and ran into the road at the corner up there. 

Hugh and his boots!

Boots and hat style

Being a super brave climber.

Having two little boys is so much fun! I love watching their relationship grow and how they play with each other. We had to break out our rain pants a couple times to enjoy the outside weather in spite of the rain. They love picnicking for lunch on the back porch whenever I let them. We've also been trying to explore new parks to keep life a little more interesting. The boys keep me busy and moving, which I am very grateful for! 

Hugh and Jay in their rain pants

Picnic time!

Hugh going down a big slide

Jay

Hugh and Jay trying to climb!

Both boys riding a spinning toy at the park. 

I found them outside like this and it was so funny! They both won't fit for much longer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment