Thursday, July 31, 2025

July Fun!

July has been packed full of fun! I look over the calendar and we've had some crazy weeks, but we've been enjoying every minute of the sunshine and summer vibes. I'll start with sharing our miracle story. Back in April, I scheduled Hugh a dermatology appointment for mid-August. It was the earliest they could get me in. While we were traveling, his eczema got much worse and he was miserable. I've been fighting an outbreak like this for a while and there was nothing I could do to help. He would cry, scratch, ask for lotion, even wake in the middle of the night. While we were at Bear Lake, I got a notification a waitlist appointment had opened. I missed one of these before, so I knew I had to act quickly. The appointment was for Wednesday, July 9th just after our return. I miraculously got it! We spent that morning with Lindsay and the kids at the Fort Lupton Splashpad, and then they came to our house to stay with Jay while I took in Hugh. The doctor determined Hugh had a topical skin infection, on top of severe eczema! We immediately went on an antibiotic, and nightly baths followed with steroid cream and "wet wrapping," which meant we actually put him to bed in damp pajamas. We did this process for one week, then just did dry treatment with the cream for another week. Within a couple days, Hugh's skin was so beautiful and soft again! He still had some sore spots, but I don't know where we'd be if we hadn't gotten in! Heavenly Father was watching out for Hugh and knew he needed to be seen by a doctor asap. 

Hugh waiting for his appointment. You can see how rough his skin was. 

Another picture of Hugh to demonstrate the eczema issue.

Hugh at the splashpad before his appt!

Jay enjoying the splashes

Bryce takeover, Hugh, Jay, Betty Jane, Roxy, Allen, and Lindsay

I've also had the chance to do some fun service opportunities this month. One of the boys' favorites is when we feed the missionaries. We are back to sister missionaries and they were the giggliest sisters I've ever had. They were really great with the boys and did share a nice message which we enjoyed. We also went ministering to our assigned sister, Holly. She has her hands full with a crazy work schedule and two kiddos, but we had a great visit with her. Katie Dahl and I told her to come and sit with us in Sacrament meeting and we'd help her. The next day after our visit was her birthday. I made her a giant cookie, then she AND her husband came to church on Sunday. I felt like it was another miracle! I have never seen her husband with her and they did find a last minute seat by us. We had the chance to talk to her husband and get to know her kids a little better. I felt like it was a ministering miracle! One afternoon, Anna Jackson and Katie Dahl were kind enough to come to MY house for our ministering visit with Anna. It allowed me to let my kids play, while we visited. I picked up another friend, Breeanne, and her family from the airport one evening and got to hear all about their California adventures. And, I watched the two Self girls while Kirra was at girls camp. They were so helpful with my boys, it made it easy! 

Giant cookies for Holly

Hugh, Jay, Maycee, and Mackenzie

Jay mastered this ninja climbing wall!

Hugh is getting more and more confident at climbing, which is very fun and a little scary!

They all love this slide.

The baby showers around here keep on booming. I helped plan the games for a baby shower at the beginning of July. We played a simple get to know you game because the gal is somewhat new in the ward. Then, I enjoyed another baby shower just as an attendee. I don't remember the last shower I went to that I just attended, and it was nice! I actually won a prize too. I think in total, our ward will have had five babies born this year which feels like a lot! I've enjoyed being able to make a couple hooded towels, and pull out my sewing machine again.

We also snuck in a couple double dates this month, which is very impressive for us! We first went on a double date with Jack and Lindsay. Betty Jane and Roxy came down with them and watched our boys while we went to Wholly Stromboli in Fort Lupton. I loved having a night out and felt so grateful to have a niece who could watch our boys! We had a great dinner, it was delicious and it was fun to spend the evening with Jack and Lindsay. Our other double date was with the Dahls. The boys have started to sit by the Dahls every week in Sacrament meeting, and honestly it's a huge blessing. Hugh is partial to Ben and Jay is partial to Katie. They are so kind to our boys, and we feel blessed to have them as friends! We grilled up some hotdogs and played lawn games. We haven't pulled out our lawn games in ages, and it was super fun to play with them. We would rotate turns and entertaining the boys, and I think everyone had a great time. 

For self-care, I've been walking in the morning with either a couple sisters in the ward or with Jay. Jay usually always accompanies any walk, because he's up so early. It's been a great way to start each day! I've been having more back pain and trying to maintain the pain has been hard. I realized when I was weight training, it was getting worse. So, I've adjusted to only walking, which is a hard mental adjustment for me, but it's good. I also enjoyed a night out to dinner with Sam. We went to Red Robin and we could have visited for hours. She's amazing and does so much for others. I was grateful to be able to skip out on bedtime and let Matthew take that for one evening. 

We're pretty lucky to have family close, and we felt sad while most of them were gone for the month. Katey and her kids were in Arizona for a few weeks, and Lindsay later went down with her kids. One Sunday, we had Jack and Jason up for dinner. The boys were so confused about where the rest of the families were. We had a delicious dinner, followed with a game once the boys were in bed. It was great to just have the uncles! Our boys loved the extra attention. Jack came over again the following Thursday to deliver some cheesecake, then again on Sunday for dinner while Jason was in AZ picking up his family. We loved our time with the uncles and the boys still ask if they are coming to dinner! 

ABA therapy for Jay is in full swing and we've been doing all we can to make the most of having extra hands to help with summer outings. We go to the splashpad or the park every morning to catch some fresh air and get energy out. We were excited to get free tickets to the Denver Museum of Nature and Science from our ABA therapist and enjoyed a day there. I took Hugh slowly through the exhibits, which he loved! He thought everything was very cool! Jay took his two therapists, Katie and Shelby, through the exhibits as fast as he possibly could. He loved it! They were sweating by the time we finished the first exhibit! He is a mover and a shaker in new places and wants to see everything. I was impressed with their ability to keep pace with him and we got to experience a museum we would have never been able to do without them. The boys probably both loved the outside park the most, and the water play area at the end of our time inside. 

Hugh with the "dino bones"

Katie, Jay, and Hugh - Katie was doing her best to get Jay to stay in one place for a picture

Hugh loved all the bones!

I see Hugh!

Live action archeologist digging through some dirt and the boys thought it was so neat!

They then got to dig for bones in the kid area

Jay climbing

Hugh debating on going down this cement slide, it actually did go pretty fast and was smooth

Go Hugh!

Hugh climbing up

Petting the dino one last time before leaving

Jay and Hugh playing at the water table

Hugh digging for bones in the fake sand area

This spaceship area was also a big hit with Jay and Hugh, they loved the buttons

We also tried to hit up the Central Park splashpad one morning, but it wasn't running when we showed up. We changed route and found one nearby that allowed the boys to play and get a little wet even without it being our first choice. There was one Sunday where Jay didn't want to sit by the Dahls, so Katie told him she'd bring him cookies to bribe him to sit by her. Jay took it as she was going to bring them to our house. He wouldn't let it fall to the side, so Katie agreed to bake cookies with him and Shelby one day the following week. I will say, baking with three adults to two children is the way to bake! We had enough adult hands to mostly anticipate the actions and it was far less messy than I thought it might be. Jay and Hugh had the best time! Jay also has had a few chiropractor adjustments and we're working through different medications for his ADHD to see if there is something that might help him sit and focus long enough to learn. Medications are a roller-coaster ride and it's so hard to see what's helping and what isn't. Thankfully, Jay is resilient and mostly happy natured about it all. 

Hugh digging at the Central Park playground

Plan B playground, Jay thought it was awesome!

Hugh and Jay climbing

Water fun for Jay and Hugh

This splashpad was very splashy, they boys would reach in and fill their buckets, that was about it

Shelby, Hugh, Katie, and Jay baking cookies

Hugh pretending to be the chiropractor

Dr. Jay's turn next - I'd love to have a chiropractor in the family!

July came to a close too fast! The boys are loving each other and enjoying their time at home and at the parks. Hugh and I can sometimes sneak away on a Friday to run some errands while Shelby plays with Jay, and that's been a big blessing. Jay and Hugh are in the mimicking stage and like to do whatever the other is doing! Sometimes it is really cute, and other times it isn't as cute when they're being naughty. They both still take good afternoon naps, which is a sacred time for me. I usually spend naptime preparing Sunday School lessons, blogging, grocery shopping, chatting with my sisters, or looking for some great deal on something we need. I've been harvesting from my garden, mostly lettuce and some zucchini and peas and squash. The peas never make it into the house, we always eat them first. We did have one family night out when the power went out. We decided to make the most of Dad's free time due to the internet outage and went to In n' Out for dinner and then ate at a park. The boys loved it!

Jay at the new park, check out his awesome outfit!

Hugh loving the monster at the park, too.

Water cups are the BEST treat for our boys. They are so excited! They love having their own cup, it's totally free and they get hydrated. 

Jay and Hugh were refusing to eat dinner one evening when M wasn't home. They started to feed each other and pretty soon both their dinners were gone. It worked like a charm!

Do you see Jay? He fell asleep for his nap with this blanket over his head.

Hugh playing chimes at the park

The boys love making "tunnels" for each other, This is Jay making a tunnel for Hugh.

Hugh making a tunnel for Jay

Hugh found the shade and wanted to stay there.

Jay found a friend at the splashpad with a cool push bike, lucky for Jay, the kid loved being pushed around. Jay pushed him different places for at least 45 minutes.

Hugh and Jay with bibs, they are in a huge mimicking stage

Hugh and me

Hugh trying to make a tunnel for Jay

Hugh and Jay enjoying the morning giggles on our bed

Hugh always wants some lettuce, peas, etc. that I am picking from the garden.

This was my first lettuce harvest!

Hugh and Jay playing in the pool. We go outside and play every afternoon and eat popsicles. 

Before naptime book reading is my favorite. Matthew snagged this photo. 

This splashpad has been a go-to for us this summer. The boys don't really like splashes, so it's perfect. 

Jay was all about laying in the water, it was a hot day!

Jay and Hugh throwing water down the rubber hill. It bubbled in the heat, so hot!

Hugh and Jay playing at the purple park

This is the "Mommy splashpad" and it's been amazing, the boys love it and have a great time playing in it!

Evening bike rides are so fun, Hugh's pants were falling down and getting in the way during this ride so we hiked 'em up.

I've been blessed to get about 15 minutes a morning to take a shower. The boys have actually been willing to watch a show, and it's been a huge blessing.

Hugh told me he wasn't tired, and then fell asleep there on the couch. 

New park fun with Hugh!

Jay rocking climbing on top of the huge dragonfly.

Jay and Hugh

Hugh, wanting to be as close to Jay as possible to look at his book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment